Mary Poppins Steps to the Fox Stage

Ava Fehrmann, Staff Writer

It has been weeks since “Mary Poppins” left the stage of EHS.  The home of the Banks family has been taken apart and the actors, actresses, techies and seamstresses have returned to their normal schedules.

However, the group is being assembled for one final song, but this time at the Fox Theatre.

The St. Louis High School Musical Theatre Awards is an annual award show held at the Fox Theatre celebrating performances given by high school theater companies across the St. Louis area.

Similar to the Tony’s, it includes categories such as “Outstanding Actor,” “Outstanding Actress,” “Outstanding Production,” “Outstanding Choreography,” “Outstanding Orchestra” and “Outstanding Direction.”  All of which, EHS Drama received a nominee for.

Seniors Luke Goeckner and Paige Terch received nominations for their roles as Bert and Mary in the spring production.

“I just felt so honored and proud of us all,” Terch said about the nominations.  “EHS Drama Club has always strived to create the most professional production possible at the high school level, and I believe we have always been successful in that aspect.”

Due to the nomination for “Outstanding Production,” the cast will get to perform one song from the production, “Step in Time,” which means polishing off tap shoes and returning to regular practices in the auditorium for the actors.

“We will be having rehearsals at school to polish up on the dance number, but then towards the end of May into the beginning of June we will get to have practices at the Muny,” Goeckner said. “The practices for actors and actresses will most likely be spent getting used to the extra space on the Fox stage.”

As for the resetting the stage, the intricate moving sets of “Mary Poppins” cannot be transported across the river and Bert’s ceiling walk will stay at EHS.  But, according to senior stage manager Lilli Thalmann, small items will be brought to make the Fox Theatre similar to 1910 London.

“We are so passionate that we want to make the show the best it can be,” Thalmann said. “The nominations make me super proud of my drama family and it’s amazing knowing that all the hard work that was put in is showing through.”