‘Immaculate:’ Sydney Sweeney’s Magnum Opus

Photo courtesy of AP Newsroom

After hearing the story of how Sydney Sweeney came about this movie, I was intrigued. 

Sweeney auditioned for a movie with this plot several years ago, but it was never turned into a movie. The plot was so impactful that it stuck with Sweeney for years. The plot of this movie is: a young American woman goes to an Italian nunnery and quickly realizes things are not as good as they seem. 

And, to my surprise, I understood why this plot stuck with her. 

And because that plot stuck with her, Sweeney funded and produced a movie, called “Immaculate,” with the same plot.

This movie is considered a horror or thriller, but more than that, it was well done.

With the genres it fits into, it had jump scares, but those jump scares were not typical. They took what you would expect to be the jump scare, and waited a little while after to have the actual jump scare.

But aside from the jump scares, it had a lot of gore. I am someone who can handle a lot of blood and gore and does not usually have to look away, but there were a couple times during this movie where I had to look away.

In addition, there was a lot of very discrete foreshadowing. Things would be mentioned in context, and it would be totally normal, but then they would come back later, and the introduction to them earlier flowed so seamlessly you didn’t realize it was foreshadowing.

There was also a lot of symbolism throughout. Because this takes place in a nunnary, a lot of typical Catholic symbols, like rosary beads, were used throughout, and when the gruesome part came, rosary beads were used.

But the best part of this movie was the length. While the movie was fantastic, it was also short compared to other recent movies. Running at 1 hour and 29 minutes, it was fast paced, but didn’t feel rushed. Even with the time constraint, this movie managed to be impeccable.

Julia Towell
Julia Towell, A&E Editor
Julia is a senior and second-year journalism student. She is the A&E editor for The Claw and Tiger Times Online. Julia is an Aquarius who absolutely despises Matthew McConaughey. On Friday nights you won’t see her at a football game on her own free will, but you will catch her snuggled in bed with her cat, reading. Julia is actively involved in Drama Club and Bel Canto. Outside of school she loves to read, cuddle her wonderful little baby boy and gremlin cats, garden, sleep, and watch romcoms.