Drama Club Elects New Officers

The 2024-25 Drama Club election results are in!
Senior Sydney Andrews plays the part of Elle Woods in ‘Legally Blonde.’

The auditorium roared at the end of the Drama Club Banquet on Saturday: the new officers for the 2024-25 school year were announced along with next year’s musical.

Junior Maya Sundar, the newly appointed vice president, was unsure of the results going into the night.

“I was very nervous, but super excited to find out,” Sundar said. “The previous officers announced each position for the next year, and when I got announced as vice president, Sophia and I hugged for five minutes because we were both so happy.” 

The elections are entirely student driven, according to junior Gaby Bannister, who is the president for next year. 

Students start their campaign process by submitting a written note to Director Ashley Melton and a Google Form was then released on April 29 with each candidate’s name. Once everyone voted, the results were announced at the banquet. 

As each new officer was announced one by one, Bannister got ready to announce next year’s show. Ms. Melton chose ‘Chicago,’ and the entire cast and crew was thrilled with the decision. 

“Chicago is a very jazzy musical, with a lot of great dance numbers,” Bannister said. “I’m excited to see what Mrs. Melton has in store for us.” 

Chicago is set in the 1920s and tells the story of two rival villains who are locked up in jail together. The story is a satire, with lots of jazz music, according to Broadway.com. 

Along with Bannister, Sundar is looking forward to the musical for the music and dancing. She thinks the show will be ideal after accounting for how many students participate in drama at EHS. 

“It has a lot of great music and dancing, and I think EHS is going to do a great job with it,” Sundar said. “I think [Ms. Melton] picked it because of the large number of girls we have next year, because Chicago has a lot of female roles. 

The larger cast allows many students to get featured roles, giving them bigger parts than previous shows.  

“I’m excited next year to run the social media,” Sundar said. “I think our club is going to do amazing things next year with all our shows and especially with Chicago.”

Veda Kommineni
Veda Kommineni, Staff Writer
Veda Kommineni is a first-year journalism student but has spent three years on the yearbook staff. Outside of class, Veda plays varsity tennis for Edwardsville, does robotics, and is the editor-in-chief- of the yearbook. Her favorite classes have always been relating to literature, and she can't wait to pursue journalism.