Let The Roanissance Commence

Chappell Roan stuns in her Coachella outfit.

I was wrong.

I’m not afraid to admit it, I was wrong.

Last week, I proclaimed that we were in a “diva drought.” I was under the guise that modern pop music was missing that edge that raised artists like Lady Gaga and Madonna to fame due to their creativity and unique artistry.

With Taylor Swift and other bland artists with no creative edge dominating the charts, it seemed like lost hope for a diva renaissance.

That is until I came across Chappell Roan: not the diva we deserved, but the diva we needed.

Roan is single handedly bringing back creativity and edge to the pop scene.

Having opened for pop-sensation Olivia Rodrigo, Roan blew up early this year due to her high energy performances, drag-inspired makeup and audacious lyrics that are able to captivate anyone.

I dismissed Roan as a girl, juvenile artist who was trying to be a clown version of Avril Lavinge, but I was immediately proven wrong.

Listening to her stunning debut, The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess, was enough for me to validate her diva card, but what got me completely sold was her Coachella performance.

Stunting in cheetah print leggings, drag makeup, an outrageous red wig and a tank top that boldly states “Eat Me,” Roan stomped across the stage and made that 45-minute-time slot she was given completely hers.

Performing the song “Good Luck Babe!,” Roan lunges across the stage and acts out the song’s hiddenly devastating lyrics. 

Wailing “When you wake up next to him in the middle of the night /With your head in your hands, you’re nothing more than his wife,” Roan then belts the song’s explosive chorus to roars of applause.

I was immediately sold.

And so was the internet.

The performance gained millions of views and the song charted on the Billboard Top 100 shortly after her performance.

To see the masses appreciate and accept this outstanding diva gives me hope for a future of boundary pushing artists who aren’t afraid to try new things.

The reason the performance went so viral is because the people want performance art, not performative art.

With juggernauts like Tyler, the Creator and Lana Del Rey headlining, it’s refreshing to see Roan (who is performing on a fraction of their budget) spark up as much and if not more conversation than established music industry titans.

Performing with a concept and elaborate, flashy costumes is one thing. But, what really makes a diva is true talent and Roan has plenty of that.

Let the diva renaissance commence.

Owen Anderson
Owen Anderson, Staff Writer
Owen Anderson is a senior and a second-year journalism student. He is a second-year member of EHS Yearbook holding the position of co-managing editor. He plans to major in English on a pre-law track. In his free time, he enjoys listening to music, writing reviews for movies on Letterboxd and reading. One thing about Owen is that he has a blasé attitude about anything, yet has a strong opinion on everything, even topics he is not quite informed on.