‘Funny Girl’ Lights Up St. Louis Stage

AP Newsroom
“Funny Girl” being performed at the 2023 Tony Awards.

Anyone versed in the realm of musical theater knows about the musical “Funny Girl.”

The story revolves around a homely girl named Fanny Brice, who believes, contrary to the feelings at the time, that she can launch into stardom, despite being unattractive.

In the early 21st century, women were only seen as viable members of show business if they had a pretty face to carry them, so her self-confidence is met with much apprehension.

Despite the doubts of her colleagues, Fanny manages to rise to fame but loses her husband and jovial personality in the process.

“Funny Girl” is a dazzling, rags-to-riches musical that debuted in 1964 and ran on Broadway for a successful three years. It received eight Tony nominations and starred Barbra Streisand during its Broadway run and 1968 film adaptation.

Streisand isn’t the only star to pass through the role of Fanny. Lea Michelle, star of the popular TV show “Glee,” recently revitalized the role on Broadway, and I had the pleasure of seeing her perform.

To say that she succeeded in the role is a gross understatement. As the lights dimmed and her voice soared over the crowd, it seemed less that she was playing Fanny and more that Fanny was meant to be played by her.

With such a brilliant performance still fresh in my mind, I walked into the Fox this past Sunday with my expectations low. I didn’t see how anyone could meet the level of talent that Michelle brought to the role. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Katerina McCrimmon kept the audience entranced as she belted her way through some of the most difficult songs in musical theater history. Her ease and grace were unlike anything I had seen at the Fox before. 

Sounding like a regular Streisand, many audience members were brought to tears during her renditions of “People” and “The Music That Makes Me Dance.”

Her acting ability is not to be overlooked. Fanny boasts in the show that she has 36 different expressions, but McCrimmon seemed to be working with at least 50. She had spectators in stitches, in tears and in resolute contemplation throughout the three-hour run.

While it may be a common belief that the title of “The Greatest Star” should go to Streisand or Michelle, McCrimmon gave those musical theater icons great competition. I would encourage anyone with a free night to bless their eyes and ears and go to the Fox and see “Funny Girl.”

Sydney Andrews
Sydney Andrews, Staff Writer
Sydney Andrews is a senior and a first-year journalism student. She is an officer for National English Honors Society, the president of Tri-m Music Honors Society and is a member of NHS and Spanish Honors Society. She is also very involved in EHS Drama Club and loves to read in her spare time (not that there is much of that). She plans to pursue a career in law but has always taken an interest in journalism and hopes that it will help better her writing skills this year.