‘Legally Blonde: The Musical’ Is a Smash Hit

Elle+Woods+celebrates+her+internship+with+the+intimidating+Callahan.+
Corinna Winkler
Elle Woods celebrates her internship with the intimidating Callahan.

Don’t judge a book by its cover.

It’s a lazy message that is sloppily integrated in countless films. The message can, very easily, become a cliche-ridden predictable snoozefest when lazily smacked on a generic script.

However, “Legally Blonde: The Musical” transforms that simplistic message into a witty, thoughtful show all wrapped in a pretty pink bow.

“Legally Blonde: The Musical” performed to three sold out audiences this past weekend at EHS, and it’s clear to see why.

The musical follows Elle Woods, former UCLA sorority sister played by senior Sydney Andrews, as she navigates the biting and intimidating world of Harvard Law School. 

Fashioned in pink and weaponing her chihuahua, Bruiser, Elle faces discrimination from her classmates and professors based on her bubbly personality.

The show’s humor is brilliantly conveyed through the exceptional performances of the cast. The impeccable comedic timing and delivery of each joke made the show all the more memorable.

Senior Mallory Pallas shines as Paulette, the eccentric hairstylist with a burning passion for Ireland, capturing the character’s quirky essence flawlessly, impressively maintaining a thick Boston accent throughout.

Pallas is nothing but endearing, you can’t help but root for her portrayal of Paulette.

The sorority trio, portrayed by sophomores Gracie Cook and Mackenzie Tarr and junior Gaby Bannister maintained unwavering high energy throughout the production. The sheer force each actress was putting into their characters was commendable; all eyes were drawn to them.

Andrews embodies Elle’s unwavering spirit with captivating precision, channeling the charisma of Reese Witherspoon’s original portrayal. 

The show’s act one closer, “So Much Better,” features Andrew’s powerful belt, leaving no doubt about the actress’s vocal prowess.

Supporting Andrews was senior Brenden Mccauley, playing the charismatic and humble law student Emmett. 

Mccauleys voice soars through the auditorium as the pair performed “Take It Like a Man,” the lyrics unfold the duo’s deepening feelings for each other and became a powerful turning point in the show.

Aiding the spectacular performances were costumes that exemplified each character to a tee.

The costumes added a whole new level of visual storytelling on top of the already impressive set design. Paulette’s costuming was beyond exemplary; each outfit she wore on that stage brought her character’s personality to a whole new level. 

The set design, undoubtedly something that could be found in an Off-Broadway production, was made with such detail and quality that brought the world of “Legally Blonde: The Musical” to life. 

Each set had so much detail that I found myself getting lost in the background, looking at each poster on Elle’s wall or the models hung up in the Hair Affair salon. 

Every detail, performance, and costume brought the show to life and made the show all the more memorable. A standout for EHS Drama and local theater, this production of “Legally Blonde: The Musical” will not soon be forgotten.

Owen Anderson
Owen Anderson, Staff Writer
Owen Anderson is a senior and a second-year journalism student. He is a second-year member of EHS Yearbook holding the position of co-managing editor. He plans to major in English on a pre-law track. In his free time, he enjoys listening to music, writing reviews for movies on Letterboxd and reading. One thing about Owen is that he has a blasé attitude about anything, yet has a strong opinion on everything, even topics he is not quite informed on.