Students Shamelessly Binge Watch Risqué TV Show

Jane Thompson, Co-Editor in Chief

Jan. 9, 2011. To many, this is just another uneventful day in history, but to die-hard “Shameless” fans, this date marks the day that their cinematic lives were taken over by the most hysterical and heartbreaking dysfunctional family on TV: the Gallaghers.

This Showtime series, created by Paul Abbott, chronicles the lives of seven south-side Chicago family members navigating their way through life in the best way they can. With a deadbeat father, Frank (William H. Macy), who turns to the bottle even after a liver-transplant, the eldest child Fiona (Emmy Rossum) is left to fend for herself and her five siblings.

While the show premiered six years ago, it wasn’t a hit with EHS until late 2016 when it was released on Netflix.

Junior Dahlia Nelson began watching it in January of 2017 and has finished the six seasons on Netflix twice.

“I hadn’t heard of it until (January),” she said. “I don’t think it ever really got exposure until recently from social media, and it came on Netflix so everybody started to watch it.”

Now, it’s hard not to overhear a conversation in the classroom or the halls about Frank Gallagher’s drunkenness or Debbie Gallagher’s (Emma Kenney) poor choices.

The authentic and raw show addresses everything from hard drugs to LGBTQ relationships, skipping few taboo topics in between. It portrays these topics in an unapologetic way where virtually nothing is off limits for the show’s writers. The liberties that the writers take with the themes of this show differentiate it from other working-class shows created in the past.

“It’s got a much graver level of poverty attached to it,” Abbott said. “It’s not blue collar; it’s no collar.”

And EHS students appreciate the show’s acknowledgement of certain themes.

“I think they do a good job of hitting on key topics that are happening in the world and make it educational and still fun for the viewers,” senior Joel Mueller said.

With its hysterical chaos and relatable characters, “Shameless” has successfully taken over Netflix binge watching nights.

“I think it’s one of the best shows out there,” Mueller said. “It’s got everything you want in a good show: comedy and multiple storylines. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and makes you want more and more.”