They’re as Cold as a Match, Ready to Strike

Eryn Coppersmith, Staff Writer

The anticipation to see a concert was at an all-time high on Wednesday, Aug. 19. The curtain was closed and the lights were on.  Every time the audience would make a noise the more the excitement grew. Then suddenly the curtain is snatched up and you see them all there; Dave Grohl on his throne, Taylor Hawkins on the drums, Pat Smear on rhythm guitar, Chris Shiflett on lead, and Nate Mendel on bass.

A couple of months ago at the beginning of the Sonic Highways tour, Grohl took a spill off of the stage and broke his leg. Refusing to stop the show, he let the paramedic snap his leg back into place, then hold it in the correct position for the rest of the concert.

After being out for weeks, he dreaded the idea of cancelling anymore shows. He had a throne featuring the Foo Fighters logo centered on the top with lights around the entire thing. He later turned the sketch he made of his throne into a t-shirt (which I happily bought for $25.)

The Foo Fighters began their set with Everlong, the infamous song that has featured in many films, such as “The Wolf on Wall Street.”

If you’re a big FF fan, you might be wondering why they didn’t kick off the Sonic Highways tour with a song from their new album. If that is what you were expecting, you would be very disappointed. They actually only performed three songs from Sonic Highways: “Congregation,” “Outside” and “Something from Nothing.”

Senior Danielle Bohannon, was not one of those fans. She has been listening to FF since freshmen year. “Best show I’ve seen,” she said, “with [Chili Peppers] a close second.” Even though she just recently started to listen to the Foo Fighters, she has always had a love for Grohl’s previous band, Nirvana.

Moving on to the second disappointment of the night, the band covered at least four songs. Van Halen, Rolling Stones, etc., yet absolutely no Nirvana. What is this? How is Grohl going to cover the Rolling Stones, but not Nirvana?

Put my complaints aside, and it was still by far the best concert I have ever attended. Most people cannot rock out on two legs as hard as Grohl can on one. The determination and passion shared by everyone in the group was truly astounding. The chemistry they acquire throughout all of these years was shown vividly as they strummed for five extra minutes on almost every song. The Foo Fighters are more than just a band; they are a group of brothers who don’t care about much more than making music and sharing it for the world to listen to.