Students Share Thoughts on Remote Learning

Teaching assistant helps out with a remote learning class, Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2020

Logan Roever, Staff Writer

Last week, it was announced to students and teachers that EHS would start second semester remotely on Jan. 4.

Omicron, a highly contagious strand of COVID-19, is spreading through the country and our community at record-breaking speeds. According to The Intelligencer, Madison County set a record for the highest number of COVID-19 cases in a day for four days last week. 

This has led to District 7 staff members getting sick or quarantining, preventing teachers from coming to school. 

Because of this, the district sent EHS and middle school students to remote learning starting Jan. 4, and grades 3-5 started remote learning on Jan. 10. 

Students have been remote for two weeks, and there’s no definite date for an in-person return. The district says they will be analyzing data weekly to determine when students can go back to school.

For freshman Luci Klingensmith, two weeks of remote learning haven’t dampened her spirits.

“I feel alright so far. I don’t mind remote learning so much because it takes a lot of the social pressure out of school,” Klingensmith said.

Junior Tiara Arzola shares positive feelings toward remote learning.

“I personally think that [remote learning] fits in better with my schedule and allows me more time to work or do extracurriculars along with learning,” Arzola said.

But remote learning causes many difficulties for students and teachers alike.

While most students experienced remote learning at the high school level last year, freshmen are adjusting to new expectations for remote learning. 

“I think last year my teachers were still figuring things out with us so I had less work,” Klingensmith said. “I think my teachers have us on Zoom more this year, but the lessons are also more engaging.”

With the second semester starting remotely, students changing classes are forced to meet a new teacher and classmates over Zoom.

“I started Honors Psychology this semester and remote learning definitely made the process of getting to know a new teacher different,” Arzola said. “My teacher didn’t get to do as much with my class as he originally planned, so this shortened the time that we normally would have gotten to interact with him.”

The lack of interaction in remote learning has affected senior Damon LaMar.

“I get very lonely and bored. And it’s hard to get motivated to go to class,” LaMar said.

As LaMar is a senior, he wonders how COVID-19 might alter the rest of the school year. 

“I do have concerns about how it’s gonna affect graduation and prom, but I also don’t really care. I know I’m going to graduate either way,” LaMar said. “But for the rest of the class, I am concerned about graduation and prom getting canceled.” 

While these events are months away, there’s really no certainty with how the pandemic will affect things in the future. The district’s goal, though, is to bring students back in person as soon as possible.

Even for students who like remote learning, it’ll be nice to go back in person.

“I will be ready to go back soon, so I hope remote doesn’t last much longer,” Klingensmith said.