Eclipse Expedition: Mapping Out Your Solar Spectacle Adventure

AP Images
A man uses special glasses to take in the solar eclipse in Canada.

For the first time since 2017 and the last time until 2044, the contiguous US experienced a solar eclipse. With places like Cape Girardeau and Evansville experiencing 100% darkness and Edwardsville getting over 99% darkness, let’s find out what some students spent their eclipse day doing.

EHS hosted their very own solar eclipse viewing party that included free snacks, friendship bracelets, science experiments and a photo booth.

“I enjoyed the eclipse,” junior Aidan Jumper said. “I got to see it with a lot of my friends at the school which was cool and seeing it go dark was cool.”

Other students opted to travel to a destination to get the full experience of the eclipse.

“I went to my cabin near Evansville and got to see it go fully dark,” sophomore Finley Baker said. “It was really cool.”

And still other students opted to take in the beauty of the eclipse from the comforts of their homes.

“I saw it at my house with my family and some of my friends,” junior Luke Thomilson said. “It was a solid eclipse, but it wasn’t as good as the first one.”

Regardless of where you took in the scientific wonder, we won’t be seeing another one for the next 20 years so hopefully you took full advantage of the opportunity to see the phenomenon in its full form.

Zach Cohn
Zach Cohn, Staff Writer
Zach is a junior and second year journalism student. He has been a member of the Edwardsville Hockey team for 4 years and is also a member of the EHS broadcasting club where he broadcasts EHS football, basketball and baseball games.