Young Republicans Club Looks Forward

Jack Pifer, Views Editor

Because Independent Party Club and Young Democrats Club are no longer meeting, Young Republicans Club is the only remaining political club at EHS.

The club is sponsored by Dan Morrisey and meets every Thursday after school in room 317. According to club president senior Charlie Henseler, the club was started in 2017 with the goal of getting high school students more politically involved at the local level.

“In a typical meeting we discuss current events and we sometimes have guest speakers,” Henseler said.

According to Mr. Morrisey, the club is very beneficial for the students involved and allows them to grow as people.

“You have to get alternative ideas,” Mr. Morrisey said. “Don’t be afraid of the ideas. That’s the only way you can become confident.”

It took persistence to get the club sponsored and running, however.

“I had 3 different students, that came to me and asked me to sponsor…,” Mr. Morrisey said. “I finally agreed to do it.”

Mr. Morrisey said that after he agreed to open his room to the club, there were 70 students that came in on the first day which turned into about 30 active members during the club’s first year in 2017.

Today the club has about 15 active members.

“There are significantly less people in the club this year…,” senior Jackson Budwell said. “However, I fully expect the election to revive the club later this year.”

Since the club is oriented around involving students in politics, the club typically involves themselves in the political community.

“The future for young Republicans club is bright,” Hensler said. “We will be working with multiple local campaigns for the 2020 election.”

Throughout 2020 the club will also work on fundraising while having fun getting politically involved. They encourage new members to join.

“Despite being the only political club at EHS, we have always been open to new voices,” Henseler said. “Everyone is welcome at Young Republicans Club.”