Drafting Prepares Students for Future

Emily Kloostra, Staff Writer

Tucked away behind the gym, students sit hunched over desks in a classroom full of computers, t-squares and horsehair brushes. They are drafting students, learning how to create precise drawings and representations of objects.

Intro to Drafting is the first in a set of three courses, and just like the course title says, it introduces students to the basics of hand drafting.

The class can be used to fulfill the graduation requirement of a fine art or vocational studies course, and can provide knowledge for future careers.

“I thought it seemed interesting and useful as someone who wants to go into engineering,” senior Benjamin Strotheide said.

Using tools such as t-squares and scales, the class transforms measurements in a book into a diagram on a page, Strotheide said.

“It is very satisfying to see a perfect, complete drawing after putting a lot of work into it,” he said.

While Intro to Drafting is mainly hand drafting, the class also uses some Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), according to sophomore Ethan Pavlinek.

“The drawing always comes out looking nice and crisp,” Pavlinek said.

After taking the prerequisite of Intro to Drafting, students have the option of taking a Computer Aided Drafting and/or Honors Architectural Drafting class.

Senior Henry Lingafelter said he is taking Architectural Drafting because he believes it will provide useful skills in college.

“Also, it kind of fit my interests and I thought it would be fun,” Lingafelter said.

The experience in Intro to Drafting can also influence students to continue down the drafting path. Senior A.J. Scheffel is also taking Architectural Drafting this year.

“I really enjoyed Intro to Drafting and just seeing things come together on paper as well as a sense of satisfaction when you finish a drawing,” Scheffel said.

Architectural Drafting focuses on learning about typical design styles, according to Scheffel. Students were tasked with creating a presentation about the nine styles of American houses and sub-styles that came with them.

“[Mr. Wright] assigned a large project and was surprised when I turned in a 223 slide power point presentation,” Scheffel said.

Pavlinek said he is planning on taking both CAD and Architectural Drafting in the future; he wants to work in architectural design. Drafting is a lot of fun, according to Pavlinek.

“I recommend it to anyone interested in going into engineering or [who] just needs better handwriting,” he said.