EHS Takes a Vintage Twist on Prom

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

A red carpet is to be rolled out for one night for EHS students. Prom is less than a month away and prom committee is working hard to make the night spectacular.

“Old Hollywood” was announced as this year’s prom theme. Stepping into Mrs. Knabe’s room, you would see boxes full of red and gold decorations.

Senior Maegen Brown feels that the committee is most of the way prepared at this point for prom.

“Obviously we still have a lot of work to do,” Brown said. “We plan ahead far in advance. There’s a lot to get done and sort out. We don’t set the decorations up until the night before prom.”

Decorations include large flower table centerpieces and movie posters of Hollywood recognizable icons like Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe.

But how do they choose a theme?

According to senior Paige Scott, usually the seniors vote on a theme but this year Mrs. Knabe really wanted “Old Hollywood”

But a lot more goes into prom than you think. According to Mrs. Knabe, the Collinsville Convention Center is the only place that can host over 900 prom attendees that’s in close proximity to Edwardsville.

Sadly, when booking an event at the convention center you must use their provided caterer which would explain why prom tickets are $50 each.

“A single can of soda costs $3,” Mrs. Knabe said. “Imagine how much that costs to provide soda for hundreds and hundreds of people. And that’s just soda!”

This year, prom tickets are only being sold at school three days but are sold online through myschoolbucks.com at any time.

Prom may look different from year to year but the atmosphere a school dance will always be there.

“My only advice to give to new prom-goers is to have fun of course,” Brown said. “But bring an umbrella in case it rains again like last year.”