Student Government is More than Candy and Shirts

Erin Morrisey, Staff Writer

Class officers are known for fundraising, building floats and filming class videos, but the largest efforts of the officers often seem behind the scenes until senior year and after.

The journey of class officers begins before freshman year. Freshmen council members are “hand-picked” by middle school principals and social worker/ prevention counselor Mark Tschudy, freshman council member Gwen Calvo said.

“They said we showed great leadership skills and thought we’d take our class down a great path,” Calvo said.

Although the principals and Mr. Tschudy put a lot of time into their selection process, it might seem that student officers don’t do anything noteworthy but fundraise by selling candy and t-shirts.

“While it is true that class officers work a lot with fundraising, there are a lot more activities that we have been involved in over the years (including the class video and class float),” senior President Ike Bertels said. “We have attended school-wide leadership events… (which) helps with organizing and planning the many spectacular events that go on in the school.”

But some class officers—like sophomore Secretary Joey Lu and junior President Jason Pan—feel this isn’t enough work.

“The role comes with a sort of mandatory set of items to accomplish per term. But also, it’s a dream (for me) to be able to bring about a… positive change in our class,” Pan said.

Some officers think their peers expect the officers to accomplish more for the school than they are capable of doing. Although the student officers have big dreams for their offices, they don’t have enough time or resources to complete everything they want to do.

Pan said other schools offer their officers funding when they come into a term to encourage the officers to make a change.

But that doesn’t mean the officers don’t generate change. Junior Secretary Austin Wang is campaigning for a trivia night, which Pan said is probable to occur. Freshman officers Calvo, Usma Rizvi and Meredith Stump are currently working on a “diversity week” and hope to involve other clubs in the process.

Senior class Secretary Carl Eastman (an officer since his freshman year) said officers experience a lot of growth over the four years they hold office. Freshman year is all about figuring out how to function as a council while sophomore and junior year are more “monotonous” because everyone looks forward to preparing for senior year, when the number of obligations increases.

“This year, we have a lot to do with giving the school something to remember our class and dealing with graduation,” Eastman said. “(Our) biggest role comes senior year and after—when we organize class reunions.”

Nonetheless, Bertels thinks the Class of 2017 has celebrated the officers over the years (specifically because of the big turnout for the filming of the class video).

“While a lot of what we do is behind the scenes, the class has shown support throughout,” Bertels said. “I hope everyone knows that we appreciate their support and look forward to all the marvelous things this class will accomplish.”