Research Paper Deadlines Help Reduce Student Stress

Jack Vuagniaux, Staff Writer

With the start of the second quarter comes the start of the research project for juniors and seniors.  A month-or-so long schedule of multiple turn-in dates makes this quarter the hardest on upperclassmen.

The research project is split into different parts to help students organize their notes and sources well.

“I appreciate how Ms. Lane gives deadlines along the way, but now I feel like it could’ve been more spread out,” junior Sarah Jobe said.

These deadlines are put in place to reduce overall stress during the process.  They prevent the procrastination that would take place if there was only one or two big deadlines.

“One final due date is harder for me to manage my time wisely,” Jobe said.

Senior Zach Fensterman, who has started his research process more recently, agrees.

“I think it would be possible but it would require a lot of self-control to get done, which a lot of high schoolers struggle with,” Fensterman said.

Even with the multiple dates, teachers can still put a burden on the students on where those dates fall.

Jobe felt extremely pressured around the time the formal outline was due.

“The rough draft was due almost right after we finished gathering information so I was forced to write it all in one night,” Jobe said.

Fensterman has no problem with the dates his teacher has given him, but he believes there are too many.

“I feel like some of the components of the paper are unnecessary and we’re just jumping through hoops,” Fensterman said.

That could be because of Fensterman’s experience after four years of research papers.

“I’ve noticed the deadlines are closer together progressively each year but I also know what I’m doing this year so that helps efficiency,” he said.

The junior research paper is almost due, and Jobe is thankful for the due dates.  She felt she was able to manage her stress well.

“Now I don’t have to worry about components such as the formal outline or works cited,” Jobe said. “I liked doing things piece by piece.”