Local Organization Works to Fight Pediatric Cancer

Emma Lipe, Life Editor

A month that signals the end of summer break and a transition into a new school year to most students means something more to senior Todd Schultz. To Schultz, September also means recognizing National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

His own fight with pediatric cancer inspired him to bring awareness to the illness.

In 2015, Schultz founded Painting the Town Gold, an organization dedicated to raising awareness about the statistics of and money for all types of pediatric cancer throughout September.

PTG has hosted numerous fundraisers. This past July, it hosted the Greens for Gold Golf Tournament at Sunset Hills Country Club and raised around $5,000. PTG also raised $300 through the field hockey team’s Black and Orange Scrimmage earlier this August.

One hundred percent of proceeds collected by PTG help fund pediatric cancer research at the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, Alex’s Lemonade Stand and the Jason Motte Foundation. PTG raised over $100,000 last year, and it hopes to raise more this year with upcoming events Schultz said.

The Wooden Nickel will host a luau on Sept. 1 to kick off the upcoming fundraisers. A portion of the proceeds will go toward Painting the Town Gold’s efforts. 1818 Chophouse will also benefit the organization with proceeds on Sept. 2.

This Saturday, Aug. 20, PTG is hosting its Go Gold Festival, an all-day family event in Glen Carbon’s Miner Park.

From a sing-along with characters from Disney’s “Frozen” and a balloon artist to four musical performances by local bands, the Go Gold Festival will feature activities for all ages. Multiple food and drink vendors will be present.

A trivia night will take place at the Moose Lodge on the tenth and a 5k race at Township Park on the seventeenth.

A final gala celebrating September will be held on Nov. 5.