A Set to Remember

Miranda Lintzenich, Life Editor

Every year tech seems to go above and beyond with the set. This year they seem to have done just that and more.

This year drama chose to build a revolving set based on the original 1960 London Westend show, according to junior Luke Dawson. A set that has two levels and is ran by a motor.

“We still used a lot of our own original ideas, but we used the basic outline of their set,” Dawson said.

The set is built in a circular U-shape, which can be tricky, according to junior Max Chapman and senior Jenna White.

“It is hard to build a set in the shape of a circle,” White said. “Also the pieces on either side of the center revolving piece have to fit the circle perfectly or else they will bump into each other which would cause a major problem.”

Although there were some hardships, the details of the set make up for it.

“At the center of the set is a big, round, rotating platform,” Dawson said. “To each side of the circle there are platforms that revolve around it. On the back of the stage we built a fence and hung a painted backdrop.”

Overall, choosing to build such a set seems to have paid off.

“The bottom of the u is elevated so that way we can represent ‘the Underground’,” Chapman said. “We used it last time [the school] did Oliver and if my memory recalls correctly, we remodeled it after the Broadway set.”

The set allows for a variety of opportunities because of its capabilities.

“I love the set. I think it adds a level of complexity to the show that we couldn’t have with any other set,” Chapman said.

That level of complexity directly has to do with the motor itself. This motor was rented from a company in California and comes with a program that is used to tell the motor when to turn the set and how far each revolution should be.

As cool as this sounds, there have been a few complications.

“The motor came in late and it has broken a few times,” White said. “We have managed to fix it each time.”

Tech seems to have spent a huge chunk of time on this project and it shows.

“It took about four months and we still work on the set until basically the day of the show,” Dawson said.

The skills learned and used in order to build such a set will sit with Dawson forever.

“I’ve learned more from working in our scene shop, than any single class has taught me in high school.”