Girls Swim and Dive Continues Winning Streak, Defeats O’Fallon at Senior Night

Julia Towell
Members of the EHS swim and dive team cheer on junior Karis Chen as she competes in the 100-yard breaststroke on Oct. 5 against Glenwood.

As their season comes to a close, the girls swim and dive team has gone undefeated for months, maintaining an eight-meet winning streak.

One of the Tigers’ most recent wins was at the Jane Caliendo invite near Chicago, scoring 271 points total.

“We definitely weren’t expecting to win at Jane Caliendo,” sophomore Georgia Samet said. “We’ve never won that meet before and there is more competition [in Chicago].”

Following these successes was the Swim for Hope meet, an annual fundraiser for cancer research, once again ending in a win for Edwardsville.

Their seven-meet winning streak continued on into Thursday’s senior night meet against O’Fallon.

The meet opened with a tribute to the team’s only senior, Pera Onal. Junior Karis Chen has been on the team with Onal all throughout high school, making for an emotional senior night.

“She’s [always] been one of my best friends and such a supportive teammate, always there for you and cheering you on,” Chen said. “So it’s going to be really hard to say goodbye to her after this year.”

The team then competed in 12 events against O’Fallon, winning 110-69.

Following Thursday’s win, Chen said she sees similarities with last season.

“We did really well last year at meets and ended up winning sectionals,” Chen said. “We haven’t lost a meet yet this year, so I’m hoping we can keep being successful at sectionals and qualify for state.”

In preparation for sectionals, Chen said the team will begin to taper soon, a process of relaxing on their sets and focusing on stretching.

“The week before our target meet, usually sectionals, we will lower yardage and focus on specific race preparation,” coach Christian Rhoten said. “When it comes down to it, ‘taper’ is a fancy word for rest used so that athletes are in peak physical condition to perform at a certain meet.”

But sectionals isn’t the only thing on their minds. 

“I’m hoping we win the meet, but also get as many people as possible to state,” Samet said.

The state meet will take place on Nov. 10 and 11.

About the Contributors
Georgia Gaughan
Georgia Gaughan, Student Life Editor
Georgia Gaughan is a second-year journalism student at EHS. She is the student life editor for The Claw and Tiger Times Online. Outside of journalism, Georgia is the vice president of National Honor Society and enjoys planning homecoming with student council. Her favorite month is October and she will never pass up the opportunity to eat at a new Mexican restaurant. After high school, she hopes to major in finance at Purdue University but will continue to write for student publications in college.
Julia Towell
Julia Towell, A&E Editor
Julia is a senior and second-year journalism student. She is the A&E editor for The Claw and Tiger Times Online. Julia is an Aquarius who absolutely despises Matthew McConaughey. On Friday nights you won’t see her at a football game on her own free will, but you will catch her snuggled in bed with her cat, reading. Julia is actively involved in Drama Club and Bel Canto. Outside of school she loves to read, cuddle her wonderful little baby boy and gremlin cats, garden, sleep, and watch romcoms.