Edwardsville’s Varsity Hockey Team Makes The Return To MVCHA

Julia Towell
Konnor Goclan playing on the Oct. 10 game against the O’Fallon Panthers.

After a hiatus from the Mississippi Valley Club Hockey Association, Edwardsville hockey’s varsity team rejoins the league.

Following a fifth consecutive conference title in 2016, the varsity team made the switch to play for the Mid-States Club Hockey Association at the start of the 2017 season, with the top junior varsity team instead playing in the MVCHA league.

But after seven years, the team has decided to switch back to MVCHA for several reasons.

“We wanted to play our traditional rivals like O’Fallon, Granite City and Alton. We’re going to get a chance to do that and we’re excited about that,” coach Jason Walker said to the Intelligencer.

Making the switch allows the Tigers to continue playing exhibition matches against Mid-States teams, along with the standard conference games.

“The big thing for us is that we wanted to do both,” said Walker. “We tried to figure out how to have a hybrid schedule so we [could] play the traditional Southwestern conference and play our traditional rivals around here, and we wanted to still play Missouri teams.”

Having the varsity team play both MVCHA and Mid-States games could benefit the varsity team while playing at higher levels.

“We’ve played at a national level and most of the teams that play at a national level have a bigger schedule than us,” Walker said. “It’s just a way for us to play more games and like I said, play more teams at home and play hard teams away.”

The team is able to add more players to their roster, too. With the Mid-States roster, the team was only able to have 20 players on the roster. With a new MVCHA roster, the team can have up to 30 players on varsity.

“[The change] definitely allows the younger guys to get some experience on varsity,” junior Dean Schlarman said.

The switch could potentially create an opportunity for newer players and aid their growth by giving them experience playing varsity.

“It allows us to have more flexibility and carry more players,” said Walker. “More players are going to be able to play at the varsity level which is good.”

The hockey team will play all nine Mid-States exhibition games on Friday nights through January and the profits will be donated to Hockey Fights Cancer, an organization founded by the NHL in support of cancer patients and their families.

Despite the changes to the schedule and roster, this season is a highly anticipated one for the Tigers.

“I think we’re going to be one of the better teams in the league. The last six years we’ve played in that league we’ve won it, so we have extremely high expectations,” said Walker.

The Tigers will play their first game of the season against Belleville on Nov. 9 at 8:30 p.m., at the R.P. Lumber Center.

About the Contributors
Veda Kommineni
Veda Kommineni, Staff Writer
Veda Kommineni is a first-year journalism student but has spent three years on the yearbook staff. Outside of class, Veda plays varsity tennis for Edwardsville, does robotics, and is the editor-in-chief- of the yearbook. Her favorite classes have always been relating to literature, and she can't wait to pursue journalism.
Julia Towell
Julia Towell, A&E Editor
Julia is a senior and second-year journalism student. She is the A&E editor for The Claw and Tiger Times Online. Julia is an Aquarius who absolutely despises Matthew McConaughey. On Friday nights you won’t see her at a football game on her own free will, but you will catch her snuggled in bed with her cat, reading. Julia is actively involved in Drama Club and Bel Canto. Outside of school she loves to read, cuddle her wonderful little baby boy and gremlin cats, garden, sleep, and watch romcoms.