Field Hockey has Answers for Attrition

Zach Kennett
The girls field hockey team beat Webster 5-0 at their most recent home game on Aug. 29.

The field hockey team won their season home opener on Tuesday against Webster 5-0, after finishing their preseason with two consecutive wins.

“These wins are showing us that the work we have put in during the off-season practices have paid off,” senior center forward Morgan Angle said.

Following the loss of their senior players, who made up half of varsity, Angle said the team has had to work “extra hard to get to the level” they’re at today. Yet, the chemistry between the girls is the strongest it’s been since she’s been on the team.

“Our positioning and movement on the field as a team is what is leading us to these wins,” Angle said. “We could not be happier with the outcomes.”

Junior defensive player Mia Schomber said, although the absence of previous players has affected them, the team will be just as good, if not better, than they were last year.

“The loss of so many people from the team have made sure that we are a whole new team this year,” Schomber said. “[The team] has a great vibe and makes the game really enjoyable.”

The biggest difference this season has been the change in coaching staff. After former head coach Jamie Henderson resigned last year, coach Kristina Johnson took her place and is having the team prioritize being positive and united.

“My expectation from the players is to feel proud of themselves as individuals and as a team,” coach Johnson said. “I know they will compete at a high level, and my job is to teach them little by little how to get there.”

On Sept. 2, the team will be playing at the Gateway Classic, a tournament they won last year for the first time in six years.

“Our mindset will continue to be the same throughout the whole season, get the W,” coach Johnson said. “We’re hungry to show our opponents that we are a good team and should be seen as a challenge.”

About the Contributors
Pera Onal
Pera Onal, Editor-in-Chief
Pera is a senior and third-year journalism student. In addition to being the editor-in-chief of Tiger Times Online and The Claw, she’s part of the EHS swim and dive team and the local club team, Metro East Titans. She is also a member of National English Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society. Outside of school, she lifeguards and gives swimming lessons at the YMCA. When she has free time, Pera likes to read, journal, and go to the movies with her friends.
Zach Kennett
Zach Kennett, Sports Editor
Zach Kennett is a first-time journalism student and first-time member of the Claw. He currently serves as the co-editor-in-chief of The Tiger, which is the school’s yearbook. He formerly served as the managing editor. He has also won two sectional titles in scholastic journalism, with one being in news writing and the other being in sports writing. Zach enjoys spending his (dwindling) free time with his dogs, playing video games, cooking or driving his truck, Hank. Being a member of the Claw is important to him in that he was previously mentored by former Claw members and looks forward to leaving his mark on the publication.