International Travel Provides New Opportunities, Perspectives

Pera Onal
Most of my time in Munich, Germany was spent exploring the churches, shops and restaurants at the historic Marienplatz.

Different sights, sounds, people and places: four things you’ll get to experience when traveling internationally. Getting to travel anywhere, especially outside of your home country, can be an incredible way to broaden your perspectives and open yourself up to new cultures.

This summer, I got the opportunity to go to Munich, Germany, and Prague, Czech Republic, before visiting my family in Turkey. Never having gone to a European country, I assumed my experience would be similar to ones I’ve had in Turkey, because it was the only country outside of the U.S. that I had been to.

I was wrong. While Europe had its similarities to Turkish culture and obvious differences to American culture, it wasn’t the carbon copy of what I expected.

Some quick highlights: public restrooms aren’t free, waiters will always give the option of still or sparkling upon asking for water, and they don’t give the check until the customer asks for it.

This trait stuck out to me most, because although this happens in Turkey, the waiters in Europe took an abnormally long time. In fact, you might be sitting there for what feels like hours without seeing your waiter and getting your food.

The ability to sit down for a meal and have long, uninterrupted conversations is something I’ve learned that other cultures outside of America cherish. After getting to experience this multiple times, I realized that I, too, want to prioritize the simplicity of having an overly deep discussion with a friend over dinner.

And I never would’ve learned that if I hadn’t had the opportunity to leave and explore. Exploring different landscapes and cultures can give someone new perspectives about where or how they want to lead their life.

One way to get involved with international travel is by applying to a study abroad program in college. These programs have an added benefit to self-planned travel, because you get to be exposed to an alternate academic style and curriculum. Depending on the area of study, you might get to dive deeper into a topic and learn it from a different viewpoint.

These programs might even give you a better chance at being hired. According to research by the NAFSA: Association of International Educators, study abroad students have better “intercultural learning” and understanding of complex “global issues,” which is prioritized by employers today.

So, if the opportunity to travel presents itself, take it. These experiences can provide social stimulation and help give you an edge on future careers.

Pera Onal
Pera Onal, Editor-in-Chief
Pera is a senior and third-year journalism student. In addition to being the editor-in-chief of Tiger Times Online and The Claw, she’s part of the EHS swim and dive team and the local club team, Metro East Titans. She is also a member of National English Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society. Outside of school, she lifeguards and gives swimming lessons at the YMCA. When she has free time, Pera likes to read, journal, and go to the movies with her friends.