Why Hate on Homecoming Court?

Taylor Meek, A&E Editor

Dresses have been bought, ties have been secured, the waltz has been rehearsed and the anticipation is high. Yes, homecoming season is upon us along with the homecoming court haters.

Homecoming nominations tend to be perceived as a popularity contest, but that’s not how we should view this event. If you want to be resentful about certain students being well-liked by their peers, then go ahead, but don’t degrade someone else’s experience.

For most EHS students, the main event of autumn is homecoming night, which is initiated by a dazzling coronation. Homecoming court is a chance for students to allow their friends to be commended for just being themselves, and that’s the sappy truth.

Every member on the court is introduced to the audience when a short script is read about them, and as tradition mandates, the king and queen of the previous school year crown this year’s royalty.

Hopefully at some point in high school, you’ve gotten the chance to witness one of your friends become royalty and see how his face lights up as his name is blared over the morning intercom, alerting him that he’s been nominated.

Friendly competition and overall enjoyment of homecoming season should be the main focus, but sadly we have teens who see it as a time when the most popular students receive even more attention as if they have bullied people for votes. This isn’t a cheesy Disney Channel movie where the mean girls and the jocks get their way; this is real life.

Getting nominated is the easiest part, and much preparation for the big night follows.

When the lucky ones make it onto court they must attend dance practices at least twice a week for their performance of the waltz at coronation.

However you feel about the court’s agenda and the entire process, being a homecoming court member has its perks.

“We were in the [Intelligencer], will be in the parade, and do something fun at the [upcoming] assembly,” homecoming court member senior Ellie Viox said.

Dancing around the school gym in a poufy ball gown or a tailored suit with a huge audience of family, faculty and peers watching could either sound like the most nerve-wracking situation or a walk in the park if you’re homecoming king candidate, senior Eric Espenesa said.

“I really don’t find it hard to perform in front of a crowd,” Espenesa said. “It just doesn’t bother me, especially when I’m out there with some of my best friends.”