Seniors Should Get Out Extra Early

Nicole Burbach, Staff Writer

The last few months of your high school career is spent frantically planning for college, applying for scholarships and financial aid while making some of the toughest decisions of your life.

However, the last week or two of school is filled with do-nothing days or finals preparation.

Don’t get me wrong, I like a free period just as much as the next person, but at this point I would rather learn something rather than moving from class to class sitting there for the last two weeks of school.

“Study Hall period(s) are the best because you can sit there and do nothing but talk,” senior Drew Berthlett said. “But it does usually put me behind in my classes.”

A certain teacher, not naming names, has given us the last two and a half weeks as a “study hall.” Each day, students have the option to work or talk—and most kids choose to talk.

“As much as I’d like to say I don’t procrastinate… I do,” senior NHS member Rachel Verdun said. “And I think being in a school environment with all of my friends and nothing (to do) only makes that worse.”

Either assign more homework, or let the seniors finish school early because all of this sitting around isn’t helping anyone. I’d rather have the day off to go study at home, if anything.

I know I speak for a lot of students when I say that I could sit there and stare at my review guide for an hour if I meant I didn’t have to work on it. My grades are fine, so I’ll be fine.

But what about the students who don’t have good grades? They probably would like it if they had more assignments to help boost their grade before the year is over, and shouldn’t they have that opportunity?

“One of my grades is an 89.1 percent, so it’d be nice if I could get that grade up to an A, but I don’t see that happening,” Verdun said. “We’ve been doing nothing all week.”

Seniors should get out of school early, or at least have the opportunity to learn something in class, and that just makes more sense.

“If I could just have the days we spend in class off, then I’d be much more likely to manage my time more efficiently,” Verdun said.