Wanna Play DI Sports? No Thanks.

Tatiania Perry, Staff Writer

Loading…

That’s what we are doing right now, trying get to the next step but not quite there yet.

It is hard for me to commit the next four years of my life to something if I don’t even know who I will be at that point.

Up until now I have run track because I love the sport but it has always been my choice, as soon as I sign to a school that is a contract making my choice for me.

“Continuing onto college is like taking another step,” senior Olivia Watson said. “It just makes since but I get why some people don’t want to.”

There are three good reasons why an athlete who was considered good in high school doesn’t compete in college.

The commitment:

There is a huge commitment that goes into college sports. I don’t know if I can dedicated the much of my time in a place I am already unfamiliar place.

“Running in college is a big decision but running is all I know,” senior Jenna Krone said. “I wouldn’t know what to do with all the free time.”

No love:

Sometimes it has nothing with any sort of fear but more to do with falling out of love with the sport. Senior Haley Green has been playing softball from most of her life. She has decided that for college she wants to find who she is without the bat.

The sport has become more of burden then a pleasure. Without the love for the sport there is no reason to continue on because you aren’t having fun anymore.  Coach is always saying: “If you aren’t having fun what the point?”

Not good enough:

I know that I am decent here in little Edwardsville but I don’t know about at the college level. Everyone has a fear of failing on an academic level, adding a sport on top of that is an added stressor.

“Being great in high school doesn’t mean you will be anything in college,” Krone said.

I don’t know where I will fit in without being a track girl but I am excited to find out.