Resolutions: A Thing of the Past

Tatiania Perry, Staff Writer

This year I am going to [insert self-improving task] because it’s a new year, so new me.

I used to make New Year’s resolutions; I would write them down and see how long I could keep it up. Though recently I have realized how dumb they are. Why would I have to wait until the New Year to better my life? If there is something I feel needs improving, I should simply want to do it and not make a big spectacle about it. Choosing a single day to start a major life change is rather illogical.

“New Year’s resolutions are pointless because I know I will break them after like a week,” sophomore Matthew Gaddy said.

To further escalate the issue when you begin to realize that you aren’t keeping up with them, you just feel worse than when you started. It is at this point when you realize that everyone in your life knows that you made this commitment and that you’re failing according to Gaddy.  This really isn’t a good decision for self-improvement.

Deep down you know, I know and everyone else knows that the only reason for creating a resolution is to benefit others, so there is little motivation to actually follow through.

“I only make resolutions because my mom wants me to,” senior Breana Wagner said. “I don’t actually care.”

Think about it if you aren’t willing to change on Dec. 31 then why is Jan. 1 going to make that difference?

It doesn’t; though publically stating your goals seems like a good way to increase accountability. When you fail, all of that is lost. If it were so important for you to improve yourself, you would have done it already.

Just accept who you are, don’t hide under the guise of self-improvement to make others happy. Just do you.