More and More Students Found Procrastinating

Tatiania Perry, Staff Writer

Picture this: You are sitting down at your computer at 10 p.m. trying to figure out how to start this paper that is due first hour tomorrow. You think to yourself ‘How did I get to this point?’ Well, you procrastinated.

The exact amount of procrastinating high school students is unknown but according to a survey done by PR Newswire about 87 percent of students are self-proclaimed procrastinators.

Putting things off is somewhat of an art form according to senior Jordan Daniels.

“I don’t think there is anything wrong with putting stuff off until the last minute as long as you do it just right,” Daniels said.

If you do not procrastinate just right then all the homework piles up and there is need for an all-nighter. Which is what we call it when you have procrastinated to the point of no return and must stay awake all night in order to remedy that mistake.

Teachers sometimes give small deadlines throughout large projects to limit the amount of stress due to the inevitable procrastination like the research paper for example, according to Ms. Voegele.

Sophomore Joe King said he really did not put things off freshman year. The problem does not usually come forth until after freshmen year.

The fear of the unknown is what stops the freshman from putting assignments off according to senior Tariq Minor.

“In eighth grade they drilled in our heads that high school was no joke so I was scared to put things off,” Minor said. “The stress associated with high school goes away with experience.”

Getting your homework done when it is assigned is the best way to avoid procrastination.