‘Wonka’ Movie ‘Skyrockelets’ Expectations, Better Than Our ‘Pure Imagination’

AP Newsroom
Timothee Chalamet at the “Wonka” premiere on Dec. 10, 2023.

The new movie spin-off of the beloved novel “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” by Roald Dahl was released on Dec. 15. Directed by Paul King, “Wonka,” starring Timothee Chalamet, Olivia Colman and several other notable celebrities, was met with much anticipation and excitement.

With such a loaded cast, the acting performances of the characters were never up for debate, but the standout surprise of the movie was the incredible soundtrack.

“I wasn’t expecting it to be a musical,” senior Ave Beatty said. “I think that aspect added so much more to the storytelling.”

The music for this film was written by Neil Hannon, and the cheerful songs have an undeniable catchiness.

Chalamet proved his superb abilities yet again with his role of Willy Wonka. Having never played a role of this variety, he was met with some skepticism, but most critics now say that they like his take on the part and the joy and fun that he brought to the character.

“Wonka” has garnered positive reactions from critics and received a score of 84% on Rotten Tomatoes and is considered “Certified Fresh.” This will be Chalamet’s eighth highest scoring movie rated on the platform.

As for its success in theaters, junior Maggie Mosely, who works at the Edwardsville AMC, said that many moviegoers have selected “Wonka” as their film of choice.

“I would say that most people who are coming to see the movie are teens and preteens,” Mosely said.

This comes as a surprise, because the whimsical, sing-song quality of movies like “Wonka” is typically suited to a younger audience. However, there seems to be a mass appeal to this film, as AMC patrons of all ages have flooded the theaters.

The success of “Wonka” can be attributed to its large demographic. Whether you are a young child, a teenager or an adult chasing the nostalgia of the classic “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” you will find something to enjoy about the film.

“Going into the theater, I thought I was about to watch a cheesy movie about a guy and his magical candy,” Beatty said. “With ‘Wonka,’ that wasn’t the case at all.”

Sydney Andrews
Sydney Andrews, Staff Writer
Sydney Andrews is a senior and a first-year journalism student. She is an officer for National English Honors Society, the president of Tri-m Music Honors Society and is a member of NHS and Spanish Honors Society. She is also very involved in EHS Drama Club and loves to read in her spare time (not that there is much of that). She plans to pursue a career in law but has always taken an interest in journalism and hopes that it will help better her writing skills this year.