Ali Hazelwood Strikes Again

Where the equation for a velociraptor is distanceraption/timeraptor.
Ali Hazelwood Strikes Again
Stacey Towell

Esteemed author and neuroscientist Ali Hazelwood released her third novel, “Love, Theoretically,” earlier this year and has rebutted negative assumptions.

Being a woman in stem, Hazelwood believes it is important to showcase other women in stem, which results in the protagonist of each book being one. This consistency has led many to say all her books are “the same but in different fonts.” 

Her most recent works have dispelled these beliefs.

She has written three novels and three novellas, the latter of which are the second most recent publications.

She is known to have a unique writing style and that, mixed with the protagonist being a woman in stem, results in many thinking her books are basically the same thing. Her main trope is often he loves her but she thinks he hates her, so she hates him.

I will agree that her first two books, “The Love Hypothesis” and “Love on the Brain,” were similar, but in the manner that I would have thought it was the same author, not that the stories were so copy-paste. Additionally, all three of her novellas are drastically different from each other.

The first, “Under One Roof,” is about and environmental engineer who ends up living with a big-oil lawyer; “Stuck with You” is about a civil engineer getting stuck in an elevator with her nemesis; “Below Zero” is about a NASA aerospace engineer, stranded at a remote Arctic research station, being saved by her rival.

As is typical in contemporary romances, a plot twist rocking the relationship occurs and many believe the plot twists in the books are similar (in reality they’re clearly not). Hazelwood also takes slow burn to a new level, waiting until page 277 of 384 in “Love, Theoretically” for anything to happen between the leads.

Noticeably, society has been divided on whether women can have both the love they want, and the job they dream of. All of Hazelwood’s books emphasize the woman getting both and prioritizing her job, which I believe is part of the reason people think her books are all similar.

Her newest book is a wonderful addition to her already accomplished resume with a similar writing style, but different plot.

Julia Towell
Julia Towell, A&E Editor
Julia is a senior and second-year journalism student. She is the A&E editor for The Claw and Tiger Times Online. Julia is an Aquarius who absolutely despises Matthew McConaughey. On Friday nights you won’t see her at a football game on her own free will, but you will catch her snuggled in bed with her cat, reading. Julia is actively involved in Drama Club and Bel Canto. Outside of school she loves to read, cuddle her wonderful little baby boy and gremlin cats, garden, sleep, and watch romcoms.