Rams Make Key Offseason Moves

The 2014 NFL season for the St.Louis Rams was rather polarizing. You just never knew what you were going to get out of Coach Jeff Fishers team. Stricken with offensive line issues and a struggle with quarterbacks, including a torn ACL from starter Sam Bradford led the Rams to a 6-10 record and last in the division.

Heading into the offseason the Rams had obvious concerns with Bradford’s knee and its longevity. General Manager Les Snead decided to deal Bradford to the Eagles for pro bowl quarterback Nick Foles. Foles brings in an arm that can get the football downfield to receivers who have yet to really prove themselves in the league.

With Foles coming into the starting role for the Rams, they needed to acquire all the weapons they could for him. Resigning tight end Lance Kendricks was a key move. The Wisconsin alum was a red zone target last year with five touchdowns.

Snead has inquired about drafting a wide receiver first round or a lineman. With either pick, this would bolster the Rams offense making the first year easier for Foles. Wide-out Amari Cooper from Alabama would be a great pick at 10 for the Rams.

Aside from the offensive side of the field, the Rams made key pickups on the defensive end as well. They signed linebacker Akeem Ayers who recently just won a Super Bowl with the Patriots. Ayers had five sacks but only started four games due to injuries and would play in 12 games total. They also solidified the best defensive line in the league adding defensive tackle and run stopper Nick Fairley. Fairley was the 13th pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

Now with the addition of Fairley, the Rams will win the game in the trenches defensively. They now need to focus on their offensive line problems which include getting a left guard and a center. A center the Rams are looking at is three time All-American Hroniss Grassu from Oregon. He should fall around the second round so look for the Rams to grab him.

It’s great to finally see the Rams make some offseason moves. Now fans can only hope all this noise off the field transitions to on the field.

Peter Byers
Peter Byers, Staff Writer
Peter Byers is a senior at EHS and a contributing writer to “The Claw”. In school, his favorite subjects are social science and journalism. Peter is also a member of the EHS swim team and the local EDWY Breakers club swim team. He competes in all levels of competition including numerous national level swim meets. He is a lover of sports,  more specifically the St.Louis Rams, Oregon Ducks and Chicago Cubs. In his spare he likes to chill with his “bros”, take care of his basset hound Strudel and read up on politics. He is happily a member of the Journalism 2 Bros. Peter plans on moving west once it comes time to decide on a college and is looking to continue his swimming career while doing so. His favorite rap group is A$APMOB.