Tiger Cheer Takes 15th at IHSA State

When people think of cheerleading, some contemplate if it is even a sport. A sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. If you actually sit down and try and understand some of the components of cheerleading, you would think of technique, strength, balance, timing and most important, a good attitude. Cheerleading is not only a sport, but may be one of the sports that requires the most work to be successful.

The Edwardsville High School cheer squad definitely turned some heads this season as they had their best state finish in five years.

The team had to accomplish various obstacles as they were a particularly young team.

“The 27 athletes on the Varsity competition team are all so talented and driven,” head coach Tess Henke said. “They have spent that last 8 months practicing 2-3 hours, 5-6 days a week.”

The team’s first competition was a first place performance. They won the Edwardsville Illinois Cheerleading Coaches Association (ICCA) competition with a score of 92 on Nov. 30. The very next weekend, they placed first, again, at the Highland ICCA competition.

The ICCA State Championship took place on Jan. 3 and Edwardsville placed third. Although this was a great accomplishment, it did not complete their goal. Sectionals were at the end of January and they needed to finish in the top five to advance to IHSA State.

“Sectionals are always very competitive but we knew we had a chance to qualify,” senior Molly Johnson said. “If we didn’t qualify, we knew out season would be over.”

The Tigers finished third at sectionals, so they reached their goal of making it to state at the U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington, Ill. the team had to prepare for the state championship competition pressure.

“We treated every practice like it was competition day,” said Johnson. “Before we did the routine at practice, we would warm up like we do at all competitions, then preform.”

Senior Celeste Bremley said the team was confident in their hard work and preparation for the state championships.

The Tigers finished 15th at the IHSA State competition, finishing the best since 2009.

A big reason to the teams’ success is the attitude and presence of the seniors.

“The upperclassmen really focus on leading by example. They always work their hardest, focus on things they can work on, always strive to be better than what they already are, and push themselves,” said Henke. “They also take the underclassmen in like younger siblings.”

“They never settle but are still always positive. That’s what makes them great leaders.”

Bailey Zimmer
Bailey Zimmer, Staff Writer
Bailey Zimmer is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys writing sports pieces for the Tiger Times and The Claw. When Bailey is not in school, he is most likely watching baseball, hanging out with his friends, or watching his beloved Rams. His dream is to become a part of a baseball franchise and wants to become a businessman for an MLB team. Bailey is the first baseman for the EHS varsity baseball team, and helped the team get to the “Elite Eight” Super-Sectional game his junior year. Bailey hopes the team will get even farther this year. His dream has always been to attend the University of Missouri, however, he is still in the process in deciding between playing college baseball and attending Mizzou.