A Different Look on the New College Football Playoff

For the first time in college football history there is a playoff system setup to determine who the best team in the country is. So far the committee which is filled with football guru’s and even a former Sec. of State. Condaleezza Rice, have proven worthy of providing a fair final four. Here’s a look at my final four teams to the date.

1. Mississippi State

Next Week- Alabama

AP Rank- 1

The only SEC team undefeated to this point. Mississippi State’s defense, which is giving up an average of 19.7 points per game, much improved from last year. The offense led by Heisman hopeful Dak Prescott is firing on all cylinders and prepared for a road test this Saturday @Alabama. Prescott’s offense better be prepared for the NCAA’s best defense.

2. Oregon

Next Week- Bye

AP Rank-3

The Ducks are coming off a very impressive 24 point win against the 17th ranked Utah Utes. Oregon was banged up heading into the game and left the game in worse shape. Oregon’s tight-end Pharaoh Brown suffered a season ending and possibly career ending injury. Regardless, the Ducks looked better than they have all season and are prepared for a national championship run.

3. Florida State

Next Week- Miami

AP Rank- 2

Florida State still has a black cloud covering the football team that is quarterback Jameis Winston. Winston’s sexual assault case still lingers and now he is being accused of point shaving. The Seminoles have yet to play tough opponents as the ACC continues to lack skill but the Seminoles have their toughest conference game this year. The Seminoles are looking to impress.

4. Alabama

Next Week-Mississippi State

AP Rank-4

Alabama is prepared to take on SEC west challenge and top ranked Mississippi State. The Crimson Tide has their hands full with the bulldogs. If the Tide wins, they’re looking at jumping all teams in front of them and retaining the number one spot in the CFB playoff. Saturday could be the biggest game fans will see all year. Roll Tide.

5. TCU

Next Week- Kansas

AP Rank- 5

TCU seems to be the outlaw in all this madness. A star in the making, quarterback Trevon Boykin has the horned frogs in a good position to make a late push into the final four. Their loss on the road against rival Baylor seems to be in the back of the committee’s mind. If Alabama wins on Saturday against Mississippi State, TCU is in trouble. A one loss Mississippi State team in the SEC looks better than a one loss team in the Big-12.

6. Arizona State

Next Week- Oregon State

AP Rank- 7

Arizona State put the hammer down against Notre Dame on Saturday. The Sun Devils led the Fighting Irish 31-3 at one point before letting the Irish back in the game and eventually finishing off the Irish 55-31. If they win out Arizona State will be in the final four. They will have a tough game to end the season at in-state rival Arizona. If the Sun Devils win, they will play a play against the second ranked Oregon Ducks.

Peter Byers
Peter Byers, Staff Writer
Peter Byers is a senior at EHS and a contributing writer to “The Claw”. In school, his favorite subjects are social science and journalism. Peter is also a member of the EHS swim team and the local EDWY Breakers club swim team. He competes in all levels of competition including numerous national level swim meets. He is a lover of sports,  more specifically the St.Louis Rams, Oregon Ducks and Chicago Cubs. In his spare he likes to chill with his “bros”, take care of his basset hound Strudel and read up on politics. He is happily a member of the Journalism 2 Bros. Peter plans on moving west once it comes time to decide on a college and is looking to continue his swimming career while doing so. His favorite rap group is A$APMOB.