Senioritis Strikes the Class of 2014… Too Early?

It’s another school year and another countdown to summer 2014 has begun – but summer means a whole different thing to seniors: a new chapter in our lives. We’ve seen all of the previous classes suffer from senioritis and now it’s our turn… but has it hit the class of 2014 a bit too early?

In previous years, ‘senioritis’ became a common term when the second semester of senior year rolled around. This is when senior skip days were plotted and carried out and motivation became nearly impossible. Bouncing around the walls of the school was the familiar and highly contagious word.

This year, however, the class of 2014 caught it just a tad bit too early. The result? An attempted senior skip day only three weeks into the school year. Now typically this wouldn’t be an issue. What’s the big deal with being anxious to graduate? The problem comes when the urge to be done with high school takes away from the senior year experience.

What most of us don’t realize is that only a year from now, we’ll all be headed on different paths and most of us will face the desire to relive senior year when we were in a familiar place with familiar people living our familiar lives.

Maybe some of you are bored. Maybe you’re excited about your future. Maybe you want to be surrounded by new faces. The truth is, though, senioritis won’t make your year go any faster; it’s our time to enjoy the year in front of us before we have to leave everything behind. Wishing it all away so early will be a weight on us, when we could be enjoying every minute we’re given.

We’ve almost made it through, Class of 2014. Only eight months to go. As cliché as it may sound, how are you going to spend them – counting the days or making them count?

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!