The Beards are Back

NHL playoffs are officially underway, and you know what that means. It’s time to throw away your razors and begin to grow a playoff beard.

Although it is not known whether origins of the playoff beard are simply superstitious or not, since the 1980 New York Islander playoff run, members of teams that make it to the post season have chosen to grow beards. According to some, a beard may be trimmed in an effort to change the teams luck after a loss, but most believe that a team member can only shave when their team is knocked out of the playoffs or wins the coveted Stanley Cup.

Superstitious or not, playoff beards have grown to more than just a tradition. Teams across the NHL have participated in the Beard-a-Thon, encouraging fans to grow their own playoff beards to raise money for charity. Since 2009, Beard-a-Thon has raised three million dollars for hockey related charities. This year, St. Louis Blues fans can grow beards to benefit the 14 Fund and the Joshua Chamberlain Society. Once you’ve begun to grow a playoff beard, family and friends can pledge to it.

Not only can you pledge to someone you know, you can also pledge to a Blues player. A link to the Blues Beard-a-Thon can be found on the team website, and located on the bottom of the Blues Beard-a-Thon page is a list of the available players.

Edwardsville may be dominated by Blues fans, but Blackhawk fans need not worry; there’s a Beard-a-Thon for your team and other teams too.

Maggie Mackin
Maggie Mackin, Staff Writer
Maggie Mackin is a senior at EHS. She’s generally quiet unless she has something to say. She likes dogs, in particular the bigger breeds. Paramore and Fall Out Boy are her favorite bands, but she likes a ton more. The St. Louis Blues are her favorite hockey team but she likes the New York Rangers as well but doesn’t follow them too closely. She loves photography and writing which helped her on the decision to join the 2014-2015 yearbook staff and continue taking journalism classes. All she wants to do in life is take photos of dogs.