Third ‘Battle of the Bones’ Set for Nov. 20

It is an unconventional fundraiser to say the least; the girls soccer team vs. the wrestling team in a chicken-wing-eating contest. And before you come to any conclusions, the girls are the two-time defending champions.

“Battle of the Bones” is an event for the two teams to help fund the upcoming season.

“It’s a fun event to raise money for our teams,” junior wrestler James Watters said.

Family, friends and followers of the two teams pledge money to different athletes based on every wing they eat, wrestling coach Mr. Jon Wagner Said.

The format? It’s pretty simple.

“The athletes with the most pledges compete against those of the other team in the chicken-wing-eating contest,” wrestling coach Mr. Kevin Matarelli said.

Each athlete eats five wings and the first team with all their athletes finished wins.

“The winners receive a trophy with two chicken bones on it and bragging rights until the next year,” junior soccer player Lucy Bateman said.

Mr. Wagner came up with the idea three years ago as the main fundraiser for the wrestling team.

“I kind of just thought of it,” Mr. Wagner said, “it’s like a jog-a-thon only instead of running laps, we are eating wings.”

For the past two years the girls have been the first to finish, but this year the boys have something to say to that.

“I’m excited because we are going to win and be the champions,” sophomore wrestler Cyress Ahart said.

Come out to the John Davis Wrestling Center Thursday at 6:30 p.m to see if the girls complete the three-peat or if the boys pull off the upset.

Eden Coppersmith
Eden Coppersmith, Staff Writer
Eden Coppersmith is a junior at Edwardsville High School. Her favorite subject is, of course, journalism. She likes to watch movies with her family, go to concerts and play sand volleyball on the weekends with her friends. Eden loves music and her favorite thing to do is go to concerts. The best concert she has ever been to was the Story So Far. Eden wishes to go to college somewhere far away but close enough to home so she does not need to get on a plane. She wishes to pursue Journalism in college and hopefully finding a career in journalism as well.