Key Club Hosts Haunted Halloween Bash

After school hours, you’d think everything stays the same. The cafeteria is quiet, the bathrooms are empty and nobody is found in the classrooms; however, last Friday special guests lurked in the hallways of EHS after dark—and they didn’t appear familiar.

On Oct. 24, Key Club hosted its first Fall Bash, an event where students came to the school dressed in Halloween costumes for fun trick-or-treating, games and dancing.

The idea for the event came from two juniors and active Key Club members, Vice President Anna Schulz and member Ashley Criley. Wanting to host another event besides their annual New Friends Prom in the spring, the two brainstormed ideas about how they could do something in the fall. It was not an easy process, however.

“We were constantly stressing out about making this event perfect for the students and making sure that everything was going right,” Schulz said. “But it was all worth it when it came time for the event when I saw what a good time everybody was having.”

Planning for the event included ensuring all of the hallways were decorated correctly, there was enough candy and making sure other clubs would participate.

Clubs such as National Honors Society, Student Council and EPIC prepared booths in the gymnasium for students to play games and win candy prizes.

“Key Club did an amazing job hosting this brand new event and it was so much fun being a part of it,” senior NHS member Faith Tan said.

NHS is an organization that frequently helps out with school events, and Tan was thrilled to see different clubs help out as well. “Girls Swimming was there, and I think it’s a great idea for sports teams to volunteer,” Tan said. “They had a fun game where you could throw soaked sponges at their heads…the students got a kick out of it.”

The games were not the only successful part of the night. Key Club also planned a night of trick-or-treating for the sweet-tooth candy cravers. Set up in the A wing, each classroom had a different theme. From Frankenstein to scarecrows and clowns, when the students knocked on the door they experienced different thrills.

The students seemed to enjoy one specific part of the night the most, however. When Key Club president senior Rachel Denmon grabbed her megaphone calling all students to the cafeteria, there was nothing stopping these students. Key club planned for the students to mummy wrap their teacher, Mr. Sumpter.

“The event went so well and I am just so happy about all of it,” Denmon said. “This is why I am involved with these activities…It truly brings joy to my heart to see these students happy.”

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!