Homecoming Tradition Rekindled

For the first time in 22 years, EHS is holding a bonfire. The bonfire is in support of this years homecoming theme, “Fire and Ice.”

“Each year we have a theme night event that ties into the [homecoming] theme,” senior student council member Taylor Tarter said. “You may remember two years ago we had a circus for CarnE’ville.”

The idea for the bonfire was first pitched to Dr. Cramsey and Dr. Hightower, who both had safety concerns but were excited about the idea. The city then had to be informed, and the Fire Department needed to be contacted.

“They [the Fire Department] know the safest and best way to create a large fire,” Tarter said. “They will be maintaining it throughout the night.”

With the safety concerns addressed, the idea could finally be pitched to the Board, who approved.

The bonfire is on Oct. 2, the Thursday before the homecoming dance. The night will begin at 6 p.m. behind the tennis courts, with the torch toss at 6:30. Team captains as well as other leaders in the school will be lighting the fire with torches provided by the Fire Department.

As for what’s being burned? Wood, mostly, although the idea of burning other things has been tossed around.

“It will be part of the surprise for the students that attend,” Tarter said.

Attendance is free, but your ID will be needed to confirm that you are an EHS student.

Bringing food and drink is prohibited. To enforce this there will be check stations at the entrances. Capri Sun and water will be provided and hot dogs, chips, candy and s’mores will be sold.

“There’s going to be yard games,” senior student council member Willow Tolly said.

These yard games include horse shoes and washers, as well as others.

“It’s a great idea, it seems like it’s going to be a lot of fun,” Sophomore Morgan Ash said.

Tarter and Tolly note that some of these things are subject to change.

“We are excited to bring back a ‘traditional’ homecoming event but with our own twist,” Tarter said.

Maggie Mackin
Maggie Mackin, Staff Writer
Maggie Mackin is a senior at EHS. She’s generally quiet unless she has something to say. She likes dogs, in particular the bigger breeds. Paramore and Fall Out Boy are her favorite bands, but she likes a ton more. The St. Louis Blues are her favorite hockey team but she likes the New York Rangers as well but doesn’t follow them too closely. She loves photography and writing which helped her on the decision to join the 2014-2015 yearbook staff and continue taking journalism classes. All she wants to do in life is take photos of dogs.