Six Helpful Tips to “Beat the Heat”

On a hot summer day when the heat index rises above 100 degrees, many people tend to stay inside. However, with these 6 tips, one can enjoy the outdoors and “beat the heat.”

1.    Stay hydrated.

Drinking plenty of water will help prevent you from becoming dehydrated and keep you refreshed. “On average, the body of an adult human being contains 60% water,” according to Nestle -Water’s Official Website.

2.       Try to find a shaded area.

Finding a shaded area will prevent you from becoming sunburned and will provide a cool area to relax which is something everyone can enjoy.

3.       Wear light, colored clothing.

Wearing light colored clothing can reduce the heat and help cool you down. “Think light and loose,”  NPR’s Staff writer Joe Palca said. “That’s because even if you don’t feel like you’re sweating, you still want to evaporate moisture off your skin. The loose clothing allows air to pass along the skin and exit, speeding evaporation and carrying off excess heat.”

4.       Wear protective items.

Wearing sunscreen will help prevent you from getting sunburned and prevent all the pain that comes with it. This will also help prevent long term damage to your skin. Trust me, it might be sticky and gross but it’ll be worth it.

5.       Find an objective.

Finding an objective, like mowing the lawn, sun bathing, painting the house and etc. will help you stay focus. Beside, why would you go outside with this kind of heat without an objective?

6.       Be prepared.

Bringing a towel, water and sunscreen, none of these tips will help you if you’re not prepared with the right things to cool yourself. “Gatorade, towel, and minimal amount of clothing,” said Junior Weston Hicks, who plays football. These are the most important things to have during a practice, according to him.

These are just a few tips that will help you whenever you take the risk of going out with this kind of weather. As many would experts say, it’s better to stay inside and wait until it cools down, but if you are daring enough to take the challenge, keep these tips in mind as they will help you in the long run.

Ryan Zhong
Ryan Zhong, Staff Writer
Ryan Zhong is a junior at EHS and staff writer for “The Claw.”  In school, he is very passionate about his work in school.  He likes to play the guitar. His favorite type of genre is alternative rock and pop, and he wants to be a songwriter someday.  His parents own a Chinese restaurant called “The Orient." During the weekends, he works at his parents’ shop.  His favorite type of food is Chinese food. Other than that he likes to eat pizza all day. He is proud to be a family of Zhong because his family shares much culture diversity than any other family. He tries to make everything count no matter how bad it is. If you'd like to find out more about him, you could visit his shop during the weekend. P.S. Make sure you try his food before leaving high school.