Ice for the Cause: Challenge Accepted?

Junior Carmen VanDyke takes on the ALS Ice Bucket challenge.

It stung” were the two words that junior Carmen VanDyke used to describe her experience. After all, dumping a bucket of ice water on oneself is no comfortable or relaxing task. Last Sunday, VanDyke partook in a fundraiser that is spreading like wildfire in terms of popularity.

The “Ice Bucket Challenge,” created by former Boston College baseball captain Pete Frates, has sparked interest to many and has since become a phenomenon. The rules are simple: when challenged, a person must upload a video of dumping a bucket of ice water on oneself to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter within 24 hours or donate $100 to ALS.

ALS, also known as “Lou Gehrig’s disease,” takes serious effect on the body by damaging nerve cells. “…it’s crazy to think that there are people out there that have that feeling a lot of the time; the feeling when the ice hits your nerves,” VanDyke said.

The challenge was invented as a way of raising not only ALS awareness, but raising money as well. In the past 23 days, the ALS foundation has raised a remarkable $15 million from the challenge alone.

The fundraiser has become popular among students and celebrities alike. Taylor Swift, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Zuckerberg, Usain Bolt and even billionaire Bill Gates has participated in the viral cause. Artist Justin Timberlake tweeted on Aug. 13, “Thanks @jimmyfallon @theroots @questlove @highbones for the #ALSIceBucketChallenge: Donate! alsa.org.” Many celebrities accept the challenge, but also choose to donate toward the ALS Foundation as well.

The Ice Bucket Challenge has blown up social media and frozen students at EHS.

“I think that it’s great that it’s going around the high school…it was fun, and I hope to see more people do it around school,” VanDyke said.

Sam Jueckstock
Sam Jueckstock, Staff Writer
Sam Jueckstock is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She is the Views Editor for The Claw and Co-editor-in-chief of The Tiger yearbook. She considers the journalism room as her “second home,” and wishes the room could upgrade to a cubicle layout. She is a black belt in Taekwondo, is artistic, and is a font snob. Out of all the animals in the world, she enjoys dogs the most. Oreos are “America’s favorite cookie,” but her least favorite cookie. She uses Android religiously and hates Apple products. After high school, Sam wants to pursue criminology and eventually work for the FBI. When she’s not writing in the journalism room, she enjoys conversing in German with her best friend Caitlin Rutz.