New Semester In Need of a Reset

The year is almost halfway over, and students are beginning to lose focus.  Some cannot wait for the holiday break, and others are simply catching the classic case of “senioritis.”

“The senioritis is definitely kicking in, and I am ready for the break,” senior Abby Reller said.  Senioritis is the common feeling for seniors as they become impatient to get out of high school and head on to college.  They strive to go somewhere new, meet people in a different environment and move toward the career they plan on doing later in life.

Junior Kris Moore has a while before graduating but is still dealing with having to try to refocus himself for next semester.

“I try to take two days out of the week and go work on my homework in the library and read a few chapters ahead if I don’t have much homework that night,” Moore said.

Some students are learning that they will be forced to take more time out of their daily schedule for their homework.

“Well the school work now is different from middle school because it is more complex in what the teachers are looking for,” freshman John Wasmuth said.  “It takes more time to complete because you have to put more work into it.”

A big problem with today’s generation is that we seem to procrastinate.  Is this why grades tend to drop as the year goes on?

Students watch grades fall but simply choose not to do anything about it.  Come next semester things are going to have to change for students if they want to maintain that GPA above a 3.0.

“Right when I get home from cheer practice, the first thing I will do is my homework,” senior Rachel Jackson said.  Having the right mindset can help when it comes schoolwork.

Procrastination becomes some students’ worst enemy.  Students begin pushing things off until they are finally due and then are forced to rush to get them finished.  Doing things this way, students fly through it, most likely making many more mistakes then if they would have had a set time for doing it.

“I’m never really motivated to do my homework but I always think of how I will be successful and it will help in the long run no matter how much I hate it,” sophomore Ashley Criley said.

Let’s find the motivation to kick second semester off right.

Lauren Corby
Lauren Corby, Staff Writer
Lauren Corby is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She enjoys spending her time playing volleyball and softball. Lauren is headed to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on a volleyball/academic scholarship and later hopes to pursue a nursing career. She loves coffee, cream soda and anything edible. Lauren is addicted to working out. She loves Journalism 2 because Mrs. Thrun is the teacher and because of all the awesome people.  She cannot wait to head to college next fall.