The Tigers March On To Victory

When you walk into the band room at EHS, you will notice it is just a bit different than the average classroom.  Obviously there are going to be instruments lying around, but this particular band room is even more unique because of its collection of décor on the walls.

If you have ever been in the band room at EHS, you would have surely noticed the line of trophies that wraps around the walls.  The EHS Marching Tigers clearly have a good reputation of ‘bringing the hardware home,’ and so far, this year they have continued the tradition.

“It’s a legacy…throughout the last 14 years we have just been such a top notch organization and group that we don’t go to contests thinking we’re going to win, or we want to bring this home” EHS band director Mr. Marvin Battle said.  “If we do our job, then the awards will come.”

According to Mr. Battle, the marching band participates in four to five contests per fall season.  This year alone, the Marching Tigers have been awarded grand champion trophies three times.

“To be awarded grand champion, the band must not only win their class, but they also must be the best band of the day and outscore the other bands,” Battle said.

“If there are 27 bands, that means you are the best out of the 27, and that was the case for us even this weekend when we went to Effingham,” Mr. Battle said.  “There were 27 bands that were there competing, and we were number one out of all of the 27 bands.”

Junior Alejandro Lopez has been involved with the EHS band since his freshmen year and plays the snare drum in the marching season.

“My favorite part of the marching band season is competing with local bands throughout southern and central Illinois,” Lopez said.  “I also enjoy the company of my percussion pals and the relationships I’ve formed with past and current band members.”

Lopez seems to think that so far this year, the band has been more successful than in previous years.  “Everyone comes to practice ready to work and go hard.  I feel that this year, the band as a whole has one common goal: to work hard and win,” Lopez said.

Senior Drum Major Dani Kirsch also feels that this year has been better than previous years.  “In past years, by the time we hit the halfway point in the season, the band as a whole has usually plateaued and reached a point where motivation to improve is very low.  This season, for whatever reason, we have continued to climb and strive to be better,” Kirsch said.

Like any other student would be, Lopez is extremely proud of the accomplishments the band has made this year.  “When the Edwardsville Marching Tigers have been announced as grand champions, there is an immediate sense of pride and excitement,” Lopez said.  “The band as a whole spends many hours rehearsing the drill and music, which can often be tedious and exhausting.  Acknowledgement of our talent by being named grand champion makes every minute of practice worth it.”

After all of her hard work over the years, Kirsch’s most memorable moment of marching band took place at a competition at O’Fallon.  Kirsch was standing in line with the other drum majors as Edwardsville was announced as the Grand Champion.  “That was an emotional evening,” Kirsch said.  “The directors were ecstatic, the students were all smiles, and I felt blessed to have been part of the band that finally won O’Fallon.”

Brenden Heaton
Brenden Heaton, Staff Writer
Brenden Heaton is a senior at Edwardsville High School.  He enjoys photography, cinematography, and many other hobbies.  Brenden is playing goalkeeper for the EHS soccer team, as well as participating in other extra-curricular activities such as choir, AcaFellaz and drama club.  Brenden is also one of the technical advisers for the Friday Morning News Broadcast at EHS.  Brenden plans on going to school for a degree in cinematography and video production.