Coronation Brings Down the House

Flying jellyfish, sparkling fog, a tunnel into the deep sea and pounding alarm all describe one thing: EHS Homecoming Coronation.

Student Council hosted the Homecoming coronation at 6 p.m. in the A Gym. The night was filled with poofy dresses and flashing photography. This is what many attendees expected of the night. Homecoming coronation choreographer and Spanish teacher Mrs. Kennedy was feeling very confident of her trainees. She looked forward to seeing how they performed.

“It’s been really great to see them transform into elegant dancers,” Mrs. Kennedy said.

She would have to wait. Once senior court members Morgan Suhre and Sam Watts stepped into the spotlight, the fire alarm went off.

“I was kind of like, ‘Wow, this is really happening,” Watts said. “It seemed like something out of a movie.”

Watts remained demure during the disruption. He and Suhre kept smiling as the MCs, seniors Noelle Mefford and Nathan Ash, tried to keep reading the court biographies. Their efforts were thrashed once the microphones shut off. Within seconds, everyone evacuated.

The MCs and court members waiting in the wings had some time to calm their nerves. Prior to the coronation, Mefford was fairly anxious. “I am really excited, but I’m nervous because I think I’m going to fall flat on my face when I walk out there.”

The ceremony resumed after about 20 minutes. “We just kept going like nothing happened,” Homecoming Queen Nominee and senior Bonnie Schuett said. After the senior court was presented, the king and queen nominees entered the gym. Two spotlights went out leaving seniors Hanna Beck and Kamali Mitchell in the limelight. They were crowned.

“I don’t think Kamali knew,” Beck said, “so I told him, ‘Kamali, you’re king.’ And he gave me this huge smile.’”

Cameron Thomas
Cameron Thomas, Editor-in-Chief
Cameron Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times. He is also Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Tiger Yearbook. A few of his favorite magazines are Vogue, GQ and all publications by Condé Nast. He spends a lot of his time reading fashion articles and staying up to date on the latest trends. One of Cameron's aspirations in life is to be a well-recognized fashion editor of a major publication. Go figure.