Atlantis Homecoming Proves There To Be Many Fish in the Sea

Tall dates, short dates, sweet dates, court dates. No matter what kind of date you had—or maybe didn’t have—does it really matter? A date is a date, and some students even prefer to go solo.

Another homecoming has come and gone and the usual talk on the Monday following the dance is the feedback. Was the music enjoyable? Were the decorations neat? However, the number one factor that appears to affect the experience at a dance just so happens to be the dance partner.

Shockingly, it appeared that many students didn’t want to worry about the stress of a date this year. Over the years, homecoming has become more and more of a “girls night out” or “bro time” event whereas prom has taken the lead for the most common dance to snatch a date for.

So what are the benefits of going single versus going with a date?

Senior Kayla Thompson doesn’t have a real preference. “There are good things about going with a date but there are also good things about going single,” Thompson said. “Taking pictures with a date and going to dinner is nice but when I’m dancing, I like to dance with a few different people.

Sophomore Emily Kolo is a fan of going to homecoming in a group. “If you go in groups, you don’t have to worry about entertaining someone for the night and you can have an even better time with friends.

On the other hand, senior Gus Streicher enjoys having a date to take to homecoming. “You don’t have to worry about who you are dancing with. It’s a lot more relaxing and comfortable being with someone.”

No matter what your preference is, homecoming is made for every type of person. Whether you’re asking a date and buying that matching tie and corsage or keeping your money tucked away and hitting the dance floor with your friends, homecoming is what you make of it.

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!