Expanding Economy Continues Through Edwardsville

Compared to surrounding areas, Edwardsville has more activity in leisure and commerce by far. In the last year, several restaurants and businesses have opened in the area to keep us all busy for a while.

Teaspoons Café is located on Route 147 south of Meridian Road and opened May last year. They cater to parties, business events and banquets. On the more daily basis they have a conventional menu for dining out. The menu includes a full breakfast and lunch selection as well as an extensive tea menu, hence the name. All menu information is located on Teaspoons Café’s website.

If you have a sweet tooth and find that Teaspoon’s is severely lacking in non-liquefied sweets, go down to Main Street to Bailey Cakes owned by Laura Lynch. The shop opened on July 9th and according to Lynch is succeeding. “It’s building slowly but surely,” Lynch said. Other than her mother who occasionally helps, she is the sole employee of the store. When asked about whether or not she would need to hire more employees, she replied that it was possible.

After you get you dessert, do you feel a little guilty? Want to burn the extra calories you just put on? It’s no secret that Edwardsville has a thriving bike population. The trails in town can take a person almost anywhere they choose and the sidewalks are very friendly for pedestrians. Apparently the demand has allowed for two bike stores to set up shop in town.

The Bike Factory located on Troy Road, shares the town with the Cyclery. The store is massive, giving the feel that it has room to grow. Not to say that the inventory cannot handle the needs of their customers already. Rows on rows line the center of the store while clothing is hung near the walls. In the back is the mechanics room. In between this area is barren nothingness, drawing attention to the excess polished tile. The only noticeable deficiency of the storefront is the lacking of BMX selection. Few parts are accompanied by less than ten stock Haro’s.

The co-owner of the Bike Factory, Amanda Pashea indicated that she had hopes for expansion. “We’re looking at gymnastics, cheerleading, wrestling, also with the wrestling get into MMA items.” Pashea said.

Edwardsville is always expanding, and new businesses are opening every year. Check back periodically for news on any new stores of interest opening in the future.

Sam Goggin
Sam Goggin, Staff Writer
Sam is a junior year writer for Tiger Times. He is an active participant in debate club. Sam works at Edwardsville Gun Club. He listens to many types of music, usually electronic in nature. His favorite book is A Fault in Our Stars and his favorite movie is Spirited Away.  Sam was born on January 2, 1997. He intends on getting a doctorate in philosophy and pursuing a professorship.