Clever Class Shirts Create Opportunity for Fundraising Event

The class officers collaborated together in order to design this year’s class shirts. These shirts originated as a form of fundraising and now have turned into an expected yearly tradition made possible by the students involved in the class councils.

Every class is composed of members that make up their class officers. The rankings go accordingly: president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and lastly, historian. These students are elected at the end of the school year by a democracy vote from the students in each grade level.

However, the freshmen are an exception; they are chosen while in eighth grade by their principals and go onto form a mass council.

Every individual class council is in charge of creating ideas for the class shirts. “It is a way of raising money and showing school spirit,” senior Vice President Selena Grey said

This year, the seniors met at one of the class officer meetings held on Wednesdays to brainstorm shirt ideas. They wanted a classy shirt so they added a bow tie, a pocket square and finally finished with putting a lanyard around the neck for some sarcasm and irony.

When selecting a shirt “we have to consider color, size of the writing, if we want a picture and whether the design should be on the front or the back,” Grey said.

“I like our class shirt, and I believe it accurately represents our class. It is both classy and funny, which is something 2014 has also strived to be,” senior secretary Kristen Dowell said.

As for the junior class, they met at the leadership workshops held at EHS to discuss their ideas and as of right now it has boiled down between two different designs soon to be revealed.

“It’s exciting to have the opportunity to make a shirt that people will wear and enjoy and will then associate it with the memories they make this year,” junior Vice President Shawn Semmler said.

Sophomore Vice President Nina Weatherly said she and her other class officers conducted a meeting at Starbucks to finally decide on the design of the class shirts. They went with the sophomore class treasurer Matthew Morse’s idea of “it’s our sweet 16” because this is the year they turn 16 and they will graduate in 2016.

“We asked a few people from our class if they like the shirt and would wear it because the shirt is for them after all,” Weatherly said.

As for the freshmen’s idea, they wanted to incorporate the school motto into the shirt, “Where orange and black are more,” but they also wanted to make sure that the shirts had a fresh modern look, freshman council member, Madelyn Foster said. “We appointed our most artistically talented committee member to put it all together and we then had a shirt!”

According to Foster, everyone will have to wait and see what the shirt looks like.

Tatum Secor
Tatum Secor, Staff Writer
Tatum Secor is a senior at Edwardsville High School and was born July 3, 1995 in Huntsville, Alabama. Although born in the South, she was raised in the St. Louis area and prefers the dwelling of city life over rural areas. She plans to pursue a career in Advertising/Graphic Design and attend college at Southern Illinois University. “I bounced around between my career choices and after taking a Journalism class, I realized how much I truly love the media,” Secor said. In her spare time she does horseback riding and takes lesson with her trainer. “The thrill of the sport combined with the patience needed to work with a 1200 pound animal is really something extraordinary.”