Lanyards: A Necessity or a Nuisance?

Violence aimed at schools has become an occurrence the U.S. is beginning to know all too well. With the increase in violence comes an increase in school safety. EHS’ newest safety precaution: the requirement of each student to wear their student I.D.’s at all times.

The new rule leaves many students to question, “Is this really necessary?”

The administration would obviously think so, but students have their own varying opinions.

Senior cross country runner Jack Cann and senior Business Professionals of America member Austin Gusewelle both disagrees with the new rule for different reasons.

“I can clearly see where the administration is coming from,” Cann said, “but I just don’t think it’s necessary. The lanyards get caught on things and seem to cause more problems than they’re preventing.”

Gusewelle’s problem with the lanyards was a little more personal and defiant.

“I don’t wear mine because they prohibit my originality,” Gusewelle said, “I like to express myself, and I need to be an individual.”

Other students have a similar view to that of the administration.

“I agree with the administration,” said senior Rob Gloria, “It keeps our school a better and safer place.”

Others even offered their own safety alternative.

“I don’t mind the lanyards,” senior Alana Otterson said,  “but I feel like it would be better and easier if we just had uniforms.”

Although there are many varying opinions surrounding the “lanyard rule,” it is in fact a rule. If it makes the school a safer environment, than it may be worth dealing with a slight “nuisance.”

Harrison Gorden
Harrison Gorden, Staff Writer
Harrison Gorden is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys working out, writing music and playing basketball, golf and tennis. He intends on attending a university in Southern California, and pursuing a career as a musician/actor. Although, if his dreams don’t play out, he will pursue a career in the business field. He is a passionate Illini and Chicago fan, and loves to argue. He also dreams of having a pet monkey and a bear habitat one day. Give him a read!