Girls Just Want to Hunt Game

As people have read about in the history books, it was always the job of the male to go on the hunt and catch the meal while the woman stayed at home.  This is definitely not the case for a few EHS girls.  Girls today are not afraid to get down and dirty in the woods.

Hunting, bow and even rifle, has evolved from not only being a means of survival but has become a sport and way to have fun, and these girls know how to have fun.  Junior Claire Wasser said, “I love the big hunt and just having time to myself in the woods.”

There is so much more to hunting than just the kill. There is the scenery, spending time with family or friends and having a big meal afterwards.  “I love eating whatever it is that I killed, I like knowing I did that by myself,” sophomore Maddie Rasche said.

The girls all seem to have been brought into hunting the same way, their fathers.  “My dad grew up hunting, and he took me out to see if I would like it…I loved it,” Wasser said. “I’ve been hunting since I was five.”

They are definitely daddy’s girls.  “It gave my dad and I something to do together and I loved animals,” Rasche said.

Being out in the woods could either be nerve racking for some or relaxing for others, but junior Taylor Schmitt loves the adrenaline rush.  “I love being out there, and it’s an adrenaline rush when you see a deer or even when you are getting ready to go out there you start getting a rush,” Schmitt said.

In the hunting community there is definitely a bigger bang for your buck.  “The bigger the rack the better… I show pride in the big catches I get,” Wasser said, “This year I want the 13 point buck on our property.”  The reason behind wanting the biggest buck is because the hunter is only allowed one antlered deer per permit, whether it is an archery permit or a rifle permit.

“The big bucks are such a challenge and after you shoot them with a bow, you get to track them and it’s so much fun.  Also because they taste good,” Rasche said.

Hunters do not want to waste their permits on four point deer.  “Point” stands for the number of points the deer has on its full rack.  “You mount it unless it’s only four points or smaller,” Rasche said.  The reason behind mounting a deer with more than four points is because four is considered small or average for a full rack.

When the season begins these hunters take the time to practice their skills, make sure everything fits and get in the right mind set to make the most of the hunting season while it lasts.  Schmitt said, “I enjoy it in the way where it’s a rush and it’s something to get excited about.”

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.