New Year, New Look: Students Sport Updated Hairstyles

With a new school year often comes new teachers, new school supplies and new classes. A fad that may not be quite as familiar with a new school year: new hairstyles.

Whether it be senior football player Cameron Throneberry’s  “Flow Mullet” or junior yearbook staff member Emma Vachalek’s “modernized, more edgy form of the ‘Bob’ cut,” there is no shortage of self-expression being shown through hairstyles at EHS this year.

Although hairstyles are often seen as merely a fashion statement, many of the students who changed up their look had a much deeper meaning behind it.

“I think I cut my hair to convince myself I didn’t care what anyone thought,” Vachalek said.

Other students even used their new trends to help others in need.

“I had an itch to cut my hair for a long time and when I did, it felt freeing,” senior student council member Maggie Perkins said. “Although I did get a little teary eyed after the snip, I donated it all to ‘Locks of Love.’”

It was the first time Perkins had cut her hair since she originally had it cut “super short” in the 8th grade.

Many of the students at EHS this year show no shortage of personality or self-expression. Many are showing, however, quite the shortage of hair.

Harrison Gorden
Harrison Gorden, Staff Writer
Harrison Gorden is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys working out, writing music and playing basketball, golf and tennis. He intends on attending a university in Southern California, and pursuing a career as a musician/actor. Although, if his dreams don’t play out, he will pursue a career in the business field. He is a passionate Illini and Chicago fan, and loves to argue. He also dreams of having a pet monkey and a bear habitat one day. Give him a read!