Summer Travels

Summer Travels

Who takes a vacation while on vacation? Apparently a lot of students and staff members at EHS do. Over summer break, many students traveled in order to go on a double vacation.

Senior Caleb Szedlar took a cruise to tropicalJamaica. He flew to Florida to take cruise on a ship that took him to Key West. According to Szedlar, most people rode bikes or mopeds, while a few others were on longboards.

After they spent the day in Key West, the ship began its journey towards Jamiaca with the Szedlar family onboard. The cruise stopped at the Cayman Islands for a day. Here, the Szedlars went snorkeling. “It was really cool. We got to see a stingray in the water,” Szedlar said. “Once we made it toJamaica, we just chilled at the beach,” Szedlar said.

Junior Anthony Terry went halfway around the world to visit his uncle who serves in the Air Force. While in Europe, the Terry family decided to go sightseeing in several European countries.

“During the trip, we were mainly in Germany and Italy, but we were able to go to Amsterdam for two days,” Terry said. Terry was in awe at the lifestyle of the Europeans. “There are almost no cars, as the main form of transportation is riding a bike,” Terry said.

“Every morning when we would wake up, my brother and I would walk down to the small town bakery and get food. Then we would usually go visit different parts of Germany. We visited castles that were astonishing,” Terry said.

Terry and his family also visited Italy. “In Italy, we went to Rome and theVatican City.Italy was really cool because we got to visit some historical religious buildings such as the Sistine Chapel. The Sistine Chapel was really cool because we got to see Michelangelo’s famous painting on the ceiling, called ‘The Creation’,” Terry said.

Cara Lane, an English teacher at EHS, participated in a Rotary Group Study Exchange program. The program is used to give teachers an opportunity to study foreign teaching methods in a different country.

The country Ms. Lane went to was Sweden. During the month Ms. Lane was in Sweden, she was bounced around different cities. The first place she stopped in was a city called Östersund. “From there (Östersund), everything was planned for us,” Ms. Lane said. “During my entire month there, I had very little free time. I moved from city to city–sometimes after several days, sometimes after just one,”Ms. Lane said.

Ms. Lane was officially done with her Rotary business on May 30 in the city of Gävle. From there, Ms. Lane traveled to Stockholm.  “I then continued traveling inEurope until June 13,” Ms. Lane said.

Some people choose to spend their summer relaxing, others choose to spend it working, and still others choose to travel. However students or staff members spends their summers, they take advantage of the opportunity to make memories.

Connor Wright
Connor Wright, Sports Editor
Connor Wright is a Senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys playing soccer for EHS as well as writing for the Tiger Times in Journalism 2. Connor was born on May 9,1996 and has matured into a spontaneous young man. He plans to pursue a double major in journalistic writing and Biblical Studies with a minor in Spanish. He is looking at colleges right now and perfers to attend a Christian university such as Liberty University, Union, or Wake Forest. He enjoys the company of his friends and family.