Girls Tennis Places 10th At Invitational

Jack Barker, Sports Editor

The EHS girls tennis team began its season this past weekend in Winnetka at the New Trier invitational. Although it may be a new season, the expectations will remain high, just as they’ve been in previous years.

On Friday, the team beat Glenbrook South 3-2, but lost to Highland Park 5-0. The winners on Friday were freshman Chloe Koons for No. 1 singles, senior Hayley Earnhart and junior Emma Herman for No. 2 doubles and senior Gabby Regalado and junior Eileen Pan for No. 3 doubles.

Koons, a freshman, in her very first invitational played the highest position on the team: the No. 1 position. She was also the only player who won against New Trier.

“I think I played my best, as I always try to do,” Koons said. “It was a really fun weekend.”

The results on Saturday were the same, just against different teams. The Tigers beat Maine South 5-0, but lost to New Trier Blue 4-1. The winners were also the same: Koons won at No. 1 singles, Earnhart and Herman won at No. 2 doubles and Regalado and Pan won at No. 3 doubles.

“I feel like the team performed very well this weekend,” Earnhart said.

Four of the girls on this year’s team had never played in Chicago before, which Earnhart said “is always an adjustment because the competition is so much different up there.”

“This year is a new year with new faces, but we have the same expectations,” coach Dave Lipe said in an interview with the Edwardsville Intelligencer. “We expect everyone to improve steadily throughout the season.”