Tigers Defeat Quincy Blue Devils Over 23-Hour Period

Kerrington Holland, Sports Editor

After their celebrated football scrimmage last weekend, the Tigers were ready to represent their school in the season’s first game against Quincy.

But as the Tigers were rolling into Quincy so was an hour long thunderstorm.

The game started at 8 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 26, at the Blue Devil’s home turf. Halfway through the third quarter, lightning struck and the game was postponed for 6 p.m. on Saturday.

The two touchdowns of Friday night were made by sophomore Dionte Rodgers in the first half of the game and senior kicker Riley Patterson was able to secure the extra points for the night’s ending score of 14-0.

Although the Tigers did have to endure the three-hour drive back to Quincy the following day, they didn’t let it deter them.

“We viewed it as an opportunity to fix what we needed to after the first half Friday night,” senior quarterback Brenden Dickmann said.

According to Dickmann, the boys were eager for the Saturday game but they prepared with their same pregame processes. Dickmann said that his included going over what he had been taught in practice all week.

After about a 23-hour stretch between the two days, the game finally ended Saturday night with a Tiger win of 35-6 and the boys were able to see the silver lining to the long game.

We weren’t excited about having to drive back up [to Quincy],” Dickmann said. “But it allowed us to get two wins in one weekend.”

With this win behind them, the Tigers are preparing for their next game this Friday, Sept. 2 against Rock Island, and although it’s the first home game, their tactics aren’t going to change.

“[We will prepare] the same way we do every week,”  senior defensive end A.J. Epenesa said. “We are going to prepare to play like it is our most important game of the season.”

With the focus and attitude that Epenesa promotes, Dickmann feels the team has a successful future this season.

“I think we have a lot of good things going for us,” Dickmann said. “And if we keep it up, this season should be great.”